View Single Post
Ensign
# 10
04-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Well first of all, aside from moving your Wave Function Module to science and placing another Phaser Relay in its place, I can't really fault your consoles. If however you want more resistance as opposed to more damage, you could move the QFFC to science instead and replace it with a neutronium.

Now onto your skills:
Any officer using science abilities should ALWAYS invest points into graviton and particle generators. I recommend at least 6 points in each, maybe 9 if you want to really maximise your BOFF powers. You could transfer those points from Attack patterns as you will not have enough tactical spaces to utilise them well enough to have 9 points in them. The 3 last points of any skill make very little difference, so i would suggest moving 3 points each from EPS and Warp Core Potential into the Generators. Combined with the Attack Pattern points, you should have 6 in each. Next, you will want to transfer some points into Power insulators as the Borg love using Tachyon Beam. Transfer 1 point from Inertial Dampers and 3 from Warp Core Efficiency (again, the last 3 points do nothing in comparison). 3 points in Weapon Performance might be good if you use low weapon power, but if you continue to have it high for your turrets (which isn't the best move in a Vesta), then move the points to have 3 in Projectile Weapons and 3 points in Susbsytem Repair. Nukara Reputation will more than likely have a ton of Tholians to deal with, and we all know how much they love to knock out weapons with their Phased Tetryons.
As a science vessel, the Vesta should always be tanking with it's shields, so I recommend moving points from Hull Plating and Armour Reinforcements to have 3 points in Shield Performance. I suggest only having 3 points in Inertial Dampers. The Borg will tractor you no matter what and breaking free a couple seconds earlier will make little difference in comparison to maximising your targeting and manoeuvres, especially since you can counter the Tractor Beam with Polarize Hull Plating. Having more than 3 points on Aux Performance seems like a bit of a waste since it will be maxed all the time and it will only add +10 power to the system at most if you max the skill, so I would say move 3 points to max out your Targeting and Manoeuvres along with adding another point to Subsystem Repair, 1 to Graviton Generators and 2 to Particle Generators. Unless you insist on having 3 points in weapons performance or 6 in aux performance, in which case, 6 will do for each of the generators. At this points you should have 1000 points left, so you might as well put it on Batteries.

Next, you BOFF powers.
Now I can only speak from a Science Officers point of view, but it seems your best option would be very similar. If you intend to use the Lt Cmdr Universal as a tactical slot, then you should have a tactical team along with 2 cannon abilities (entirely up to you which ones, although as the Vesta is not build to handle a lot of agree, i would suggest focussing your damage with Rapid Fire. Next, your Lt Tactical should include a second Tactical team and Torpedo High Yield (Another cannon power if you remove the Omega torpedo). Obviously keep your Lt Engineering as EPtS and RSP. Your Cmdr Science should keep your Hazard Emitter 3 and a GW2 might be a good idea as well, in addition to 1 Transfer Shield Strength (2 if you make the Ens Universal an Engineer for EPtX), and Polarize Hull.

I agree that you should make the most of the Assimilated Set for the shield regen. The Subsystem Targeting however, is not very useful against the Borg. It's only use is the chance to disable the subsystem, which IMO is too rare to be useful, and a beam array might as well be replaced with another turret to focus your damage. While the consoles might have a long CD, in my opinion they appear to be worth it, especially for the 3pc bonus of the Quantum Bubble. The Isometric Charge is a useful consoles against and in some cases might be worth sacrificing a Phaser Relay or the QFFC for, but I would just keep it in storage for the moment and swap it in when necessary. If you want to maximise your DPS, I would suggest going with the Scorpions, however if you find your shields are a bit weak, keep the repair drones.

If that build doesn't prove too well for you, this is the setup I use and it has served me well so far. http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...vevestafinal_0 Note that it is again built for a science officer, so tweak it to suit your style as an engineer.