View Single Post
Commander
# 6
04-20-2013, 11:04 AM
I honestly don't know.

I don't really have a huge issue with requiring the dropping of the cloak to pick up items/use the transporter. Obviously you can't have the cloak and use shields or weapons (under most conditions).

Communications is the most tricky situation. Obviously you shouldn't decloak to talk to your bridge officers, but should you decloak to communicate outside? I don't know.

It doesn't make sense to me, for example, that you can remain undetectable and hail someone to taunt them. That doesn't make sense to me. It might be different if you're hailing, say, fleet command, but just general hailing is problematic.

In that respect, I think the issue is not so much with the idea of what exactly triggers a decloak, but that the entire cloaking/detection mechanic seems like it needs to use a lot of work.

What I would say, though, is two things should ultimately be changed:

1. Certain things should decrease your stealth rating, but not actually require decloaking. An increase in speed, hailing a contact, etc, should all damage your stealth.

2. Certain things should not be possible until you decloak. That is to say, they should not turn off your cloak if you do them, but you can't do them until you turn off your cloak- much like how firing weapons under cloak works now. Firing weapons, using transporters, etc.

Only certain things should forcibly trigger a decloak: certain types of special weapons (like say an antiproton sweep) and 'scripted circumstances'. Just deciding to answer a hail should never forcibly decloak you. At the worst, it just shouldn't happen unless you decloak.

I feel like the stealth mechanic is right now a significant hodgepodge.