View Single Post
Career Officer
# 7
04-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Commander Darren Jones
Current assignment: First officer and Chief Tactical officer
U.S.S. Reconnaissance.

Let me start off by telling you how I came to be a tactical officer.
I applied at the academy at a sensible age of twenty two, as it seemed only right to follow my parents' lead. The academy accepted me with open arms, presuming I would be in a similar mind as my Starfleet parents. I was, of course, in a way. I wouldn't have applied had I not been, but the giant school brought out the rebel in me. It was soon after a fight with a livid pair of Rigelians that I was called to Commander Vartik's office. I quick-marched over there, concern etched on my face, with at least blood on my fists and one black eye. I was sure this was it. The end had arrived before it had even begun. They were going to dismiss me from the service...
I was dumbfounded when he greeted me with a nod of his head and told me to take a seat. Before I knew it he had a smirk on his face and explained that the Federation needed people who could give as many punches as they could take. It was then he turned serious and suggested I become a tactical officer, to protect the people out on the front line.
I took the suggestion as though it was an order, although I realised much later it wasn't at all, and here I am. I've never looked back and I don't regret a thing.
I was the tactical officer aboard the Falcon under Captain Taggart before Captain Ashfield took over. I hadn't served under Taggart for long, and I followed his orders to the letter, but I feel like I can trust Ashfield. We've been through a lot of difficult missions together. She promoted me to her First officer almost as soon as she sat in the command chair and I've never left her side.
I trust the whole crew with my life, and I'd like to hope they feel the same about me. I'll do anything for them, they're my family. I may have a tough exterior, and occasionally a tough interior too, but I'll fight for them, for people in need, for the principles we try to uphold...
With my life.
That's why I'm a Tactical officer.