View Single Post
Cryptic Studios Team
# 23
04-24-2013, 03:58 PM
I love the idea of a PvP- and Mechanics-focused STO podcast. I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor!

I've done a little podcasting in the past, before coming to Cryptic, so I have a few bits of advice to offer. but please take these as advice from one podcaster to another, not from a Dev to a player.

1) Don't settle for low-quality audio.

This probably means don't record a Skype conversation and publish it directly as an "episode." If you don't have a better option than Skype for remote recording, then take the time to learn some about audio mixing, and post-production. There's nothing that will kill an audience's will to listen faster than having tinny audio, muffled voices, and/or inconsistent volume levels.

This also means that you should bring on hosts that have decent audio equipment of their own. If they don't, but they turn out to be amazing options for hosts, it's worth the investment to help them obtain the gear.

2) Keep it short. Have a plan, and stick to it.

Audience attention spans are generally short. If you want to keep somebody coming back to listen to episode after episode, it's not a great idea to launch into 3-hour conversation epics every week that ramble directionless into random, inconsequential tangents. I mean, tangents can be fun (for both you and the audience!), just don't let them go on longer than a few minutes or you risk having them drag down the show. Stick to your message.

3) Don't fall into a feedback loop.

Conversations are most interesting when the participants have differing opinions, and can share them intelligently and openly. If your host(s) tend to always have the same opinion on the same matters, and never sway or consider outside input, it becomes predictable and boring to listen to the topic. Make a point and move on if nobody wants to debate or question it. Don't dwell on preaching to the choir.

The possible exception to this is when giving tutorials or lessons of some sort. It's generally ok to dwell on the "why" of a situation, even if dwelling on the "what" would not be considered entertaining.

4) Don't have an ego.

This one's more difficult to pull off. I mean, if you didn't have an ego, you wouldn't think you were worth listening to in the first place and probably wouldn't be starting a podcast. What I really mean is, people don't want to listen to a podcast just because you are you, but because you have interesting things to say, a great personality, and/or good advice to share. Let those qualities stand on their own. You're going to be wrong, and people are going to disagree with your, or even hate you. Don't take it personally.

This also means don't be too self-indulgent. The show should be intended as a service to your audience, not as a platform for self-aggrandizement.

---

That's about it, for now. Looking forward to hearing it, when it gets going!

PS - I don't think I'll be auditioning. Sorry!
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...