View Single Post
Captain
# 18
04-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Interesting. He does not provide his calculations, but I suppose that is a challenge to others to do it themselves. Since I am not particularly interested in the subject, I will just defer to his authority. That being said, most of the nebulae depicted on Star Trek do not seem to be planetary nebulae, which have the telltale characteristic of being "rounded" or symmetric about a white-dwarf.

That certainly may be part of it, but I am suspicious that an equal or larger part of it is due to the fact that planetary nebulae are rarely hot enough to emit a continuous spectrum.

The Orion nebulae, by contrast, is probably more continuous due to the greater magnitude of light coming from the nascent stars themselves, which means it is more energetic and more colorful.
Again, it depends on the type of Nebula. Besides, as I said before, the ship would be able to display the false colour versions.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.