View Single Post
Rihannsu
# 15
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Bryan touched the door chime for the door to the Athena's guest quarters. A second later, a soft voice whispered "It's open," over the intercom, and he stepped through the doorway.

Inside the Athena's relatively spacious guest quarters, a lone Romulan women sat in a chair facing the window. She glanced back before returning her attention to the window. She was very beautiful, her long, black hair in distinct contrast to most Romulan's shorter styles.

"You don't need to keep checking up on me Bryan." She whispered.

"I know," He replied sitting down in the chair next to hers. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for everything that's happened to you, Selana."

She looked over, a deep sadness playing through her green eyes. "It's not your fault. If you want to blame anyone, blame Sela and the Tal Shiar."

Bryan opened his mouth to speak, but was immediately cut off by the blaring of the Alert klaxons. Sighing, Bryan got to his feet and left for the bridge, followed closely by Selana.

"Status," Bryan called as he sat down in the Athena's central chair.

"Three Romulan D'deridex class warbirds, directly off the bow, sir," Athena said, her holographic form shimmering to life nearby.

"They're hailing us, sir," Aara called from the comms station.

Bryan thought for a moment before replying "Put them through."

"Vice Admiral Valot," the Romulan captain said as he appeared on the screen. "I've heard a lot about you."

"What do you want?" Bryan replied icily.

"You are harboring a criminal on board your vessel. The same one that commanded that D'ridthau class warbird that we were pursuing."

"And?"

"And, on behalf of the Tal Shiar and the Romulan Star Empire, I hereby demand you turn her over to me."

"The Tal Shiar doesn't get to make demands of Starfleet," Bryan replied, anger flashing over his face momentarily.

"We outnumber you three to one."

"We out gun you by a wider margin than that. The Odyssey class was desgined to be able to compete with the Scimitar, so your numbers are effectively meaningless."

"She has committed crimes against the Empire. She is a criminal."

Bryan glanced briefly back at the Romulan women standing by the Turbolift. "She's also my sister."

One day ago

Bryan sat in the command chair idly watching the screen. He had taken up the delta shift so that his third officer and chief Tactical officer, Lieutenant Commander Kerry Avalrez, a chance to get more command experiance. He got up and began pacing around the bridge, watching the other crew work their stations.

"Sir, we've got a ship decloaking nearby!" Athena called out suddenly.

"Classify!" Bryan replied.

"D'ridthau class warbird, sir!"

Bryan raced back to his chair and tapped the intercom button. "Attention all hands, this is the Admiral speaking. Red alert, all hands to battlestations, red alert, all hands to battlestations. This is not a drill, I repeat, this is not a drill."

"Sir, they're hailing us," The delta shift comms officer called out.

"Really?" Bryan asked, confused.

"Yes, sir." She replied.

"Put them through."

The screen changed bfore Bryan's eyes, from a starry sky to the bridge of the Romulan vessel. Bryan could see that the ship had seen battle, as multiple cosoles had been blown out, wires were strewn across the deck, and several crew were visibly injured, including the Commanding officer, who had just stepped into view.

"I am Selana, of the Romulan warbird T'verix," she said, raw fear visible in her eyes, "and I hereby request asylum for my crew and myself."

"How is she, syiseda?" Bryan asked, stepping into the sickbay.

The Betazoid doctor looked at one of the beds, where a Romulan women sat talking to one of the doctors. "Some small injuries, nothing too severe though. Mostly just light cuts that were easy to repair. Slight malnutrition, but apparently their replicators were damaged, so that's probably why. I do have one other concern, however."

"Go ahead, Lieutenanat."

"It's regarding her genetic structure. I ran a test on her genetic code just to make sure she would be receptive to standard medical techniques, and I found something rather," she paused, "Disturbing."

"Syiseda?"

"Sir, her genetic structure has a 50 percent match to yours."

Bryan stood there too stunned to speak. "Are you sure?"

Quite sure. You have a sister Bryan. Or, at least a half-sister. Syiseda whispered telapathically.

Does she know? Bryan thought knowing that Syiseda would hear his reply.

No. I was hoping you would.

Why do you always do this to me?

First of all, it's fun. Second of all, she's your sister, not mine. So she's your responsibility, not mine.

Did she tell you her age?

She's about two years younger than you are.

Bryan walked over to the medical bed that Selana was sitting on. "Could you excuse us for a moment, doctor?" Bryan said, and the doctor walked off. "Are you alright" Bryan asked her.

"I'm fine," She replied a little sadly. "By the way, I never got the chance to thank you for trying to get us amnesty."

"I never said anything about trying. I am an Ambassador as well as an Admiral. You have been guaranteed full amnesty. I could even expedite making you an official citizen of the Federation if you so wanted."

"Thanks but I'll pass for right now," she replied smiling a little for the first time.

"Never hurts to ask," Bryan said, smiling as well. "Can you walk?"

She got up from the bed. "What does it look like?"

"It looks like you can stand. Walking is another matter entirely."

"Look, Bro-" She stopped herself quickly. "Bryan. Sorry. I'm fine."

The two of them walked out into the corridor. Silently, they strode through the halls to one of the Athena's multipurpose rooms. "You can stay in here while we preform maintenance on your ship. Let me know if there's anything else you need."

"Actually, I wanted to tell you something, Bryan."

"What is it?" He asked, stepping further into the room so that the door shut behind him.

"I'd imagine they haven't told you about this, and that if it has ever come up, they've denied it, but I'm-"

"You're my sister. I know. Syiseda told me. Related by father, correct?"

"Yes. Your father," she paused, "He was a different man when he and my mother met. You actually have a little in common with how mother described him. At least until she tried to tell him that I was his as well."

"I remember something like that. About twenty years ago, correct?"

"About then, yes. I was five years old at the time."

"Do you know how they met?"

"Your father was making a delivery on the colony world I grew up on, Vinirat. My mother was helping to unload the cargo when our father noticed her struggling to move on of the crates. Long story short, they spent a few noghts together, and when he left, my mother never heard from him again."

"Until she tried to tell him about you?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry Selana."

"Don't be. I never knew him, so I don't have any memory of him. The only one who mattered was my mother."

"How is she? Your mother, I mean."

"She was killed when I was almost ten by the Tal Shiar."

"Oh, I didn't know. Sorry."

"Don't worry about it. I've had fifteen years to come to terms with what happened."

"Well, anyways, I really should get back to the bridge. I'll be back later."

Present time

Bryan watched as the lead D'deridex turned to engage the Athena, followed closely by the other two.

"Last chance, Bryan," the commander said.

"You have my answer," Bryan replied, looking patiently into the Romulan's eyes.

Suddenly, the channel closed, and the viewscreen changed back to the scene of the Romulan Warbirds.

"Emergency power to the shields, revrese shield polarity, and standby all weapons, but hold fire until I give the order," he called.

"Sir, they're cloaking," Athena called.

"Selana, tell your ship to cloak."

"You think they're going to try and attack my ship around yours?"

"Yes."

Bryan looked out one of the windows to where Selana's ship was. Suddenly, it shimmered faintly and dissapperaed from view.

"Sir, the Tal'Shiar vessels are decloaking right beside us," Athena called.

"Thryiss, fire at will on all phaser banks, launch quantum torpedoes, full spread."

The Athena leapt into action, phaser blasts lighting up the shields of the Romulan warships as the Athena's torpedo spread detonated around them. The Athena turned gracefully through space, beam arrays lancing out at the Romulan Warbirds and gradually wearing away their defenses. Eventually, the shields of one ofthewarbirds faltered, and the Athena's phaser banks began to cleave at the hull, creating multiple gashes as they did their work. The Athena spun around to face the crippled warbird, and a single quantum torpedo sped away from the torpedo tube. Shortly afterward, the torpedo slammed into the "beak" of the ship, tearing the ship apart. As its hull collapsed, the ship was suddenly enveloped in a sea of black, which rapidly expanded outward until the ship disappeared completely, at which point the unstble singularity the Rom;an ship had kept in check seemingly disappeared, until it dotonated, knocking the athena and the other two warbirds back.

"Damage report!" Bryan called.

"Minimal damage, structural intgrety holding at nintey-five percent, no risk for hull breach. Most of the damage is completely superficial," Six replied.

"Sir, the other two warbirds are retreating," Athena said. "Shall we pursue?"

"Negative. We accomplished what we set out to do. Selana, can your ship go to warp?"

"Yes, why?"

"Good. I'd like you to follow us to Starbase Nova Prime. I have an offer you can't refuse."

Selana stood in her quarters, looking out the window to the Federation Starbase known as Nova Prime.

"You all right, Sel?" a feminine voice said behind her.

She looked back to see her first officer, a Remen woman named Veril, standing in the doorway. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just never thought I'd ever be in orbit of a Federation starbase is all."

"It is rather unusual. But we're also in some rather unique circumstances because of our work with D'Tan."

"Any word about if my brother got approval for us to join the fleet?"

"Yeah, he did. We are now an official auxiliary combat unit within the 1st Assault fleet."

"Good."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just-" Selana paused for a second. "He's not what I expected."

"Bryan, you mean? Well, what were you expecting?"

"I was expecting the cheery naivate of most Starfleet officers. He's nothing like that. He's knows that not everything can be solved with words alone. And yet, he's not willing to compromise his morals to win."

"He sounds a lot like you."

"I guess."

"Well, I'd best get back to it. I'll be on the Bridge if you need me."

"Of course."

Just as Veril turned to leave the room, Selana called out, "Veril, before you go, I wanted to say thank you, for being there for me for the past few years."

"Of course," The Remen said, smiling a little, "That's what I'm here for."

With that Selana turned back to the window. Thank you, Bryan she thought, smiling slightly. I know you're takeing a big risk for me and my crew, but I promise you, we will not betray the trust you have given us.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet

Last edited by ironphoenix113; 04-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.