View Single Post
Empire Veteran
# 27 The Story of Maikell tr'Rheu
04-26-2013, 06:19 PM
The Story of Maikell tr'Rheu

by Pathfinder

I am Maikell ir-Rahvan tr'Rheu ... Romulan by birth but made Borg by curse of the fates.

The last free thought I had was on the bridge of the starship upon which I rode, commanding a fleet that stood in defense of one of the Romulan Star Empire's outermost planets.

Our best defense proved as ineffective as if a child's pop gun were fired at the hull of a great and powerful warship.

Needless to say, we were ineffective against this unknown threat and could only watch helplessly as cube shaped vessels captured our ships and cut them apart one by one.

I still remember the screams as cries of terror that echoed across the bridge via the open comm channels.

Yet even knowing the darkness was coming for us was of no help, only deepened the terrors.

"We are the Borg," they said coldly, mechanically. "Resistance is futile ... Your distinctiveness will be added to our own."

My last thoughts were of my wife and our three children ... the youngest two of which were twins I have yet to lay eyes upon.

That was almost 50 years ago.

Since that time, I have felt as if trapped within a dream from which I could not awake.

The things I have seen and witnessed and saw myself do are ? Let me just say that I wish simply that I could forget.

However, one day everything changed ... on a day when a race I had never met unleashed a weapon aimed at the Borg cube upon which I existed as a drone designated 41 of 47.

On that day, we were freed from the collective ... casting off the shackles the Borg had used to surpress our individual and passionate natures.

One of my first awakening memories was the Drone next to me letting lose a scream of agony and triumph ... and fear and freedom all at the same time. I watched as the freed Klingon warrior ripped the metallic Borg ocular implant free of his own eye socket.

I personally could not keep from weeping as at long last I was free.

Together .. he and I ... Romulan and Klingon fought our way past confused drones and made our way to the outer hull and ultimately to freedom.

We were collected by a Starfleet vessel and taken to a treatment facility where we have remained for some time ... undergoing therapy to make sure we are free of the Borg's implants and recovering.

My companion, Rha of the Klingon House of Rha, left today to return home and find what has become of his family.

My own return home is delayed slightly as doctors tell me I have a few weeks left before I also can return to my family.

My question ... What remains of my old life these almost 50 years later?

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!

Last edited by genhauk; 04-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.