View Single Post
Commander
# 2
04-27-2013, 10:04 AM
I could write a lengthly diatribe on the problems with PvE in this game currently, and so could a lot of people, and there are a lot of little reasons that contribute to poor players not really being punished. So I'll try to keep this short.

I don't think it's a case that players aren't trying, and I would think very few are deliberately screwing runs, and those that are would be very blatant about it. I think it's a case that because of the power creep, and the fact that long-term players have done the STFs loads of times (because they're designed that way) good players are way above the level of ability and experience needed to do STFs. This means that they can cover the errors of bad players, and usually will because they won't want to fail the STF.

This means that there a lot of poor players out there who are bailed out by better players (most of whom probably can't be arsed telling them what they're doing wrong) in quite a lot of the STFs they do, and they don't realise they're making mistakes. So they never improve and soon reach a point where they think they're good because of all the times they've been carried. So when someone says "Hey bro, can I explain the tactics of this to you?" they come out with "STFU n00b, I has Super Elite Adapted MACO Mk XIIIIIIIIIIIII gear" or something along those lines.

Throw in the fact that there's basically no real death penalty and the DPS-dominant PvE design rewards zerging and we have the problem you've described above.

And Cryptic will probably never redesign the rep system, or STFs, or end-level PvE, in a way that bad players can't be carried and will have to improve and learn tactics if they want any rewards. Because if they do a tonne of people will come onto the forums complaining that STFs can't be PuGged anymore and about how they can't deal with fleets or grouping channels or any other way to create organised groups, but still want to do group content in an MMO.

At some stage they might rebalance the Borg's stats to account for the more powerful equipment available, but that will just make the STFs about gear rather than player ability.