View Single Post
Captain
# 203
04-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabremeister1 View Post
Warp cores:

1. Don't make them part of sets. Set gear is specially designed equipment to improve specific areas of performance of the ship (Breen set is tuned to resist power drain, Jem'Hadar set is tuned to boost combat manoeuvrability and power). If you change the warp core, you change the performance of the whole ship. This is how they are now.
I was thinking more along the lines of end game sets: the gear in the rep system. At least half of the set impulse engines have a sector space buff. Cryptic has said they want to move sector space buffs to these warp cores, so that means making set cores and moving said bonuses from the impulse engines. Also your argument sounds more like a pro for warp cores: sets buff across the entire ship, cores do that, so they make sense in sets, and set items often have strange and interesting stats, so a set core could add more options. As for the example of the breen set, a breen core, for instance could have power insulators.

Again it would also be adding gameplay value since it would let you run two 2 piece sets or a single 3 piece set with some other asorted item (with fleet gear, it is sometimes nice to be able to drop a set piece for a fleet shield or deflector, and romulans are going to love the fleet engines)

Quote:
2. Add them to crafting. Every other piece of ship equipment is craftable, so why not warp cores?
yes please
Quote:
3. Remove them completely from loot drops. Currently, defeating a ship = destroying it (unless it's scripted to be disabled, in which case you don't get any loot anyway). If you destroy a ship, the warp core blows up. Unless you change the mechanics of defeating a ship so that it can be destroyed in different ways (wrecking life support, perhaps, or eliminating structural integrity so that the hull crumbles but nothing blows up), you can't loot a warp core.
Don't add logic here. if we were being realistic, we wouldn't be able to casually loot anything. Besides that, while I am all for crafting and fleet stores and what not, random loot drops add much more breadth to equipment choices.

Quote:
4. Allow fleet versions. I'm not in a fleet and I don't intend to join one, but I have no objection to those who are getting goodies. As long as you add warp cores to crafting as well.
Yes.

Quote:
This thread:
1. Purple stuff is Very Rare. It's not intended to drop frequently, that's why it's called "Very Rare". So, no, the drop rates for blue (Rare) and purple stuff do not need upping.
2. You've got a ship with all MkXII stuff, and you're ******** about getting a MkX warp core? You obviously enjoy the game enough to play it enough to earn all that MkXII stuff, so go out and earn another piece of MkXII equipment. You don't get nothing for free.
Having to make find or buy cores is perfectly fine. People wanting free cores are just complaining they have to work for something new. That said, the drop rates are a bit low. In the time I have gotten half dozen white warp cores, I have found a greater amount of green and blue equipment of shields, deflectors and impulse engines. Very rare should mean very rares, yes, but common should also mean common, and at the moment, common warp cores aren't common at all; everything is rare to very rare.

Quote:
3. We need a sticky top post with a link to the release notes thread that tells us about warp cores, and summarizes the key points made in this thread so far (like the stuff about the +5 maximum power boost, and how the W>E mechanic works)
THere was a dev blog on what the affixes were for (though nothing for the singularity cores [just the powers]), but yes, it would be good to have better descriptions. Too many people keep thinking the cores add power.

As for what they do. the core types let you max a system at 130 power rather than the usual 125. Fairly straightforward. The [X->Y] is based off power setting.