View Single Post
Commander
# 48
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
STO doesn't have any mechanism whereby those checks and balances can be quantified as a game mechanic.
This may be getting way too technical for this discussion, but I was just reading a paper called Do Robots Dream of Electric Laws (PDF link to paper) which talks about the computability of law- in essence, the attempt to reduce the law to some kind of computer-implementable system.

And, well, the long and short of it is that it isn't really possible, even for trivial laws. Even the attempt to reduce speeding offenses to something a computer could effectively implement is incredibly difficult.

I'm not sure it's simply the fact that STO doesn't have any mechanism; it may simply be that such a mechanism is not practical, period.

To which I would suggest that we are putting the cart before the horse. The question is not necessarily what mechanisms Cryptic could implement to 'protect' fleets, but what, exactly, Cryptic wants fleets to be. You can't answer the former until you answer the latter.