View Single Post
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Section 4: Building the Starbase

Now that I've gone over all the basics in the previous sections, this section will mostly cover ways to build your Starbase in an efficient manner, particularly for smaller fleets. This shouldn't be taken as 'rules' or anything though, mostly suggestions that I've noticed seem to work very well, or have been in turn suggested to me. (Going on that note, if for anything related to this guide, you want to make a suggestion over, feel free to say so)

1. To start with, try not to stretch your fleet too thin. Meaning that if you can only handle filling one, maybe two projects relatively easily, try and keep it only to those projects. That will allow you to keep a decent progression going on your Starbase without feeling like you have 'too much to handle'.

2. Keep a long-term plan in mind.This is more applied to not just the person/group who slots projects, but the fleet as a whole. The road is not a short journey, and it's good to always keep that in mind. Try not to over think on the 'now', and look forward to the 'then'.

3. Focus on upgrades. These aren't quick, or easy to fill, and even when filled, take awhile to countdown. So when you get one slotted, it might be good not to slot projects (or slot fewer ones), until it is finished. This might seem a bit...controlling, but it is useful, because the focus, especially at the higher tiers, to finish an upgrade can be very useful if it means it gets going within a reasonable time.

4. Dilithium is rarely your friend. Dilithium, more than any other thing needed, can majorly hamper any fleet without those willing to give it in large quantities. Because rarely have I seen people donate 'a little' dilithium for something, and mostly it is usually those who give a large donation (mostly for upgrades) instead. On top of that, people simply need dil for other things, such as reputation gear, buying things from the SB itself, and so on.

5. Going on the above, it's good to avoid slotting too many dilithium-required projects if you are purely wanted to level your Starbase. (This is unavoidable on the Outposts, you have to have projects that will always need dil) Everything else can be bought somehow, except fleet marks, so it can be handled if you have a big enough EC wallet. Dil however is still limited without exchanging Zen for it.

6. If you need to skip something to make the Starbase progression go more smoothly, then skip it. This really applies to anything you feel it might apply to. A good example would be a Starbase or Outpost upgrade. While it can be nice, if you don't feel you have to have it now, then skip it. Unless there's some factor that prevents too much leveling that I don't know about at this time, you can feel ok to skip some upgrades.

(I don't have any other advice for this particular area at this time, but feel free to say anything you might want me to add, or I may add in other things I think of in the future.)

Section 5: Preparing for upgrades

As mentioned earlier, upgrades are the biggest changing, and most expensive projects of all. As an example for this guide, the Tier 3 Embassy upgrade costs the following:

21,000 Fleet Marks
2,000,000 Dilithium
2,500,000 Expertise
13,000 Seismic Stabilizers
10,000 Terraforming Systems
1,000 Embassy Provisions

(Note: These are the base numbers, and do not take into account any discounts you might have from a dilithium mine)

That's quite the hefty price tag for a single project. While it can be difficult to handle such a thing, if you're willing to break it down, it isn't quite so bad.

To begin, it has one nice thing in that there's no DOFF requirement. So all you need is lots of dil, FMs, Embassy provisions, and ECs. Both the Stabilizers and the Terraforming Systems can also be bought from the Embassy vendor as mentioned above.

The biggest thing you need to always look at when you are slotting a big upgrade, is this: Pre-grinding.

Pre-grinding can be extremely useful to fill projects, and especially upgrades. In particular, if you start pre-grinding a couple weeks in advance, you will find that when the upgrade hits, it won't hit quite so hard. I do admit that it can be extremely tedious and boring to pre-grind, but it makes these a lot easier over the longer term.

Pre-grinding more refers to the gathering of dilithium, and in particular, Fleet Marks. To get even more specific, pre-grinding Deferi Invasion Zone and Nukara Prime before the fleet mark event. Here's an example of just how fast this can add up:

Take a team of 5 players, who pre-grind Deferi hards each day then turn them in during the bonus mark event, on three different toons each, for a week, and say they gain 350 marks each day from doing this, for the sake of keeping it simple. Now that may sound a bit confusing, but here's the math:

350 Fleet Marks times 5 people is 1,750 marks. Times that by 3 characters per person and it becomes 5,250 marks. And then if they do that for a week, or 7 days, then it's suddenly 36,750 marks! Now, that might seem like it's too much for that project, you would've had enough at the fourth day, which would put them at 21,000 fleet marks on the dot. However, you still have to keep in consideration that you will need to still fill projects in that time period as well. Besides, even if you didn't need them, you can never have too many Fleet Marks.

Now, on top of that, say that these same 5 people grind 8,000 dil on each of their three toons. The math would look a bit more like this:

8,000 times 5 is 40,000. Times that by 3 characters per person and it jumps to 120,000. Times that by 7 days again and it becomes 840,000 dilithium.

You might think to yourself that, 'wait, that's not even half the needed dilithium'. I admit that's true. However, it is referred to as 'pre-grinding' for that reason. Unless you know you will have it the moment the upgrade is slotted, pre-grinding is meant to only take off a big chunk in one shot from the start.

Think about it though. Between those 5 people knocking out the fleet marks and so much dilithium, they've already gotten through a LOT of the effort right there. If these 5 also bought the necessary commodities beforehand (including the Embassy provisions), split equally between them, they could knock out 95% of the whole upgrade in the course of about 5 minutes from the time it was slotted.

Pre-grinding can be an extremely effective tool, and can even allow the smallest of fleets, who are willing to work at it, progress and fill projects at a very good rate, and even knock out the biggest of upgrades with ease. The reality will be different from my example, that's true, but I hope it was good to show you the usefulness of it.

Section 6: Provisions.

I'll keep this part a bit shorter. The most important thing I can say for a small(er) fleet is this: Provision only as necessary.

Provision missions are generally the more annoying ones to fill, almost always requiring dilithium for one thing, and otherwise not giving many provisions in general at the lower tiers. At the higher tiers they can be downright painful to fill.

So if you are in a fleet who doesn't have many members, it might be wise to ignore provision missions, except if people want something. Some of the provisions can be out right ignored completely, such as Operational Asset provisions, the Skill Bonus provisions, etc. The more generally desired provisions ones lie with the Fleet ships, the Engineering Gear, and the Science Gear (for the SB at least). The various Outposts only have two different provision missions for options, so you don't have much choice on what you do for those.

Even if you do provision, only provision what you need. If only a couple folks want a fleet ship, only one mission will do. If a bunch of people are itching to upgrade to Fleet Defiants or something like that, might be wise to do a couple.

Final Section: The Undiscovered Country

I don't know what will happen regarding Fleet Holdings in the future. What they may require, what they may give, how much they will cost, and so on. I certainly don't know. What could work one day that is mentioned in this guide, could be completely nullified or broken through a single patch, who knows. Things are always changing in the game.

This guide might change quite a bit in the future as well. In fact, I don't consider this 'finished' in the respect that I don't know what could be added, changed, removed, etc. I do however hope that it has been of help to everyone who has read this, however little or much that may be.

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my thread I made a couple months ago, along with those who I talked to in-game or the forums, that provided a very excellent foundation for making this guide. And of course, thank you for reading this as well.

Last edited by mimey2; 01-19-2014 at 11:42 PM.