View Single Post
Career Officer
# 10
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
I say poorly said, but Trek fans has been saying **** Series is not Trek since TOS went off the air.

Fun facts about TWOK, Roddenberry considered it to be not canon due to disagreements with the director. TWOK was a soft reboot of Trek (The director wanted to showcase younger actors-Saavik was the only one that made it and a new ship-eventually the Excelsior) and it ignored the events of TMP. The movie had Spock die at the beginning due to a script leak that said Spock died at the end, similar to what we have now.

About CGI and Special Effects, in its time, TWOK had a lot and included some of the first CGI to appear in film (Genesis sequence). Like George Lucas has said about Star Wars, if they had today's technology, they would've have used it. .
Also, don't forget the writer (Harve Bennet) was not Trek fan and had never seen an episode before being hired. He actually sat down and watched (or half-watched) all of the original episodes to find the best villain to bring back to the big screen.

But, hey, it worked.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics