View Single Post
Captain
# 16
04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
JJ Trek is the Star Trek FOR now...

There will never be another Next Gen movie and most of the TOS cast are gone sadly.
But there will be something else in the future...

JJ is what's keeping Star Trek alive and whether you like his movies or not you have to appreciate the influx of cash and new recruits.

No one has to appreciate anything at all. No one has to watch the new movies. Trek exists in whatever form a fan chooses it to take. Some find it in re-watching the old episodes and movies, some find it in reading the novels, some find it in the game, some find it in dressingup like their favorite character... None are exclusive, and none are wrong...

Next Gen is OVER, get over it. Embrace the new TOS.
Telling people what to think/feel/get over tends to not go down well... JJTrek admitted that it was alternate timeline, so it does not erase/retcon or otherwise undermine the canon of the other series. All the original works are still just as valid and accessible, so there's no reason why people have to suddenly say "It's over, this is what we have now..." Perfectly possible to just carry on as before For the most part, I see people disliking JJTrek due to issues with the production and production crew, not necessarily the movie itself... As I said the other day, I'm quite happy to sit down and watch JJTrek if I'm in the mood, but that doesn't mean I rate JJ. I'll be watching Into Darkness once it hits Sky, I'm just not holding out any hopes of being impressed by it. I'm sure it'll be a perfectly acceptable way of passing an evening, but I don't see myself seeing it as anything other than a shabby remake of WoK by someone who couldn't come up with a better idea beyond tweaking a few details and saying "Alternate Timeline..." anytime anyone criticizes it ala Lucy Lawless and the "Wizard did it..." rationale in the Simpsons, and adding enough lens-flare to try and distract from that...

Live Long and Prosper...

Last edited by marcusdkane; 04-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.