View Single Post
Captain
# 18
04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
True. But that's a two-way street. JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek film is Star Trek. It says it in the title. It has two Spocks in it. It has Captain Kirk in it. It has the Enterprise in it. Absolutely the people who derive pleasure from Star Trek just by reading the novels are getting what they want out of the Star Trek experience. But, the folks who aggressively post "Star Trek 2009 is NOT Star Trek" are wrong. It is. And will always be a part of the Star Trek experience. Just like the Animated Series was. Or Enterprise. Or really anything else a group of fans may not "like" but still carries the trademark on it.
Yeah, this is the thing... It says that it's alternate reality, to my way of thinking, that allows the two timelines to co-exist without impacting each other. From a production point of view, it allows for a lot of freedom. Personally, I've no issue with that, I just find it sad that with all that freedom and options available, JJ isn't capable of actually utilizing that creative potential