View Single Post
Captain
# 115
05-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varrvarr View Post
He can be an integral part of the story without having to be an integral part of my crew. It's called imagination. I had to do it in SWTOR, alot, since so many of my supposed "choices" really were not choices and had little ramification for the next series of plot advancements.

I've used a lot of imagination in playing STO, I like it. I prefer it to being on rails.
For the third time: if you cannot deal with a character driven story, do not play a character driven story and then whine how you didn't like a character driven story. I really don't see why this is such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

Quote:
But my character was a faceless nobody in SWTOR. The only reason to force anything about how the character looked in SWTOR was for the romantic interest stories and even then that's debateable. My species choice meant nothing in the end, expect maybe for a few references here and there in the Sith Inquisitor story. My sex choice only prohibited who I could "woo" and even then that was an arbitrary choice to keep homosexuality off the table.

Few of the companion stories required a specific species and even those that did had no reason to prevent you from having unlimited control over how that companion looked.
Every character class in TOR played a defined role in the galaxy's narrative. Each companion played a defined role within each class-specific narrative (and sometimes in a different classes narrative too). That's as far from a faceless nobody with no story framework as you can get.

Quote:
But it keeps me from playing the Romulan content how I want. I'm fine with story, but don't tell me this guys place in my crew
You've just contradicted your own assertion. Either you're fine with Cryptic telling you a story, in which case you can dislike the Tovan character but accept the fact that he's a part of the story and therefore a part of your starting crew, or you're only fine with story on your specific terms doing what you want it to do. It doesn't go both ways.

Quote:
It wasn't even very effective for a game like SWTOR which for all it's good points was a tremendous failure.
Considering TOR in a year and a half has put out more additional content (both fluff and concrete) than STO has ever had, and continues to retain a playerbase significantly greater than STOs, calling TOR a failure is extremely misguided.

But that's entirely irrelevant to your inability to deal with stories that don't do exactly what you want them to.