View Single Post
Captain
# 24
05-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Especially given the history Quinn has with Alyosha--what he saw back at the Academy as a young man. To Quinn, it was pretty horrible to watch Chaxx treat Alyosha the way he did.

So while I could see some sort of private meeting with Ch'K'rr, I just can't see anything else.
That would make sense, although of course, sometimes officers are given assignments they would rather not perform, as Marcus found out when assigned to investigate Locutus' hardware

Quote:
I wonder how her tutors survived, especially seeing as they were actively trying to change her mindset and behavior. That's a dangerous position to be in. I find myself picturing her at that age as being something like the king from One Thousand and One Nights, in her sadism and sense of entitlement. I could easily see her sending her tutors to the death for daring to suggest anything about Her Highness should be re-evaluated or changed.
She might have gone through a fair few in the early years, but as she grew up, I think she would have come to appreciate the wisdom of their lessons...

Quote:
I could almost see meeting Alyosha as the final lesson. "Graduation" into her role as a responsible and mature ruler, perhaps. That's probably the only circumstances--with no one but her, Marcus, and one guard, sworn to secrecy--in which I could see the mission you have in miind occurring.

(I definitely think Marcus would have to be there--otherwise Alyosha would not fare well with such an assignment. What an irony for Ch'K'rr to see: the d'v'ash't'ya doesn't want to be alone with her any more than she wants to be alone with him.)
I think, that this meeting may indeed be the stumbling block I'd reached in my Doctor Who novel, as not knowing what happened next. I think that rather than it being a final lesson from her tutors, Marcus may have suggested Ch'K'rr meet Alyosha (there was a period where she was aboard the Endeavour during the mission) as a way of reinforcing Federation diversity to her...

Quote:
And even Alyosha may not be 100% right in everything he believes he knows about himself. After all, his upbringing was so "off" for a member of his species that, in a scientific sense, the sample has been "contaminated," and greatly so.

If I had to, I could assume that my stories were taking place in a STO-like alternate universe. But hopefully that wouldn't be necessary.
That would certainly make sense, and retain any internal consistency, as anything differently presented, can be explained as 'unbeknownst to him'