View Single Post
Captain
# 26
05-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
And I still do not agree those were ever acceptable orders--especially when they had the data from Phlox, as to what the nanoprobes were and what they could do even against an extremely strong immune system (like the Denobulan one was). Starfleet Intelligence would have, and should have, been privy to that data. (Which makes you wonder why they never warned anyone of the assimilation risk when the Borg were discovered.)
The only in-universe explanation I can think of which makes sense, is that after the initial encounter with the drones, there was such a delay without further contact, that virtually everyone in the Federation forgot all about the drones, and it was only Magnus Hanson who considered them worthy of study...

I agree, definitely unacceptable orders, but equally, something which another officer might have refused to do to someone else even if ordered.

Quote:
Of the admirals in STO, when you play the game, Quinn comes off as the almost grandfatherly one. Demanding, but supportive. His century's version of J.P. Hanson, perhaps. He's not like some of the other mission-givers you encounter. Others could disagree, but I got the impression of someone less likely to gve those sorts of orders, and more likely to take the philosophy of trying to grow officers in a more constructive/positive manner. (Even in wartime, not everyone can be on the front lines. Someone still has to train and develop the officer corps.)
Indeed, I think the solution I PMd to you may be closer to the situation

Quote:
Doctor Who? Is this a crossover?
Not a literal one, no. It's a Doctor Who adventure, featuring Marcus and the crew of the Endeavour as the 'background' characters, when the 10th Doctor takes Rose to see Ch'K'rr's coronation. However, they are described as officers of the Commonwealth of United Systems, rather than the United Federation of Planets, the Endeavour as a Viscount-class starship etc Commander Tobin is only described as a slender brunette, rather than a Trill, and if I now include a section showing Marcus, Rose and Ch'K'rr encountering any Devidians during their hike through the canyons, they will only be identified by the Pentaxian name