View Single Post
Rihannsu
# 34
05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
That's the tradeoff for those oh so wonderful singularity powers your romulan ship has.
I can't speak for any one else, but I don't find the singularity powers to be wonderful on any level. The slow build up and long dead period after using them makes them the farthest thing in the world from being dynamic.

Giving up 40 power is an extreme cost that isn't justified by an occasional use of a flashy power. In order for the powers to justify the lack of fun otherwise, they'd have to basically be "I WIN" buttons, which of course is also a bad idea.

If they want to make singularity powers/cores attractive then one or more of the following:

1) Get rid of the "dead" period after using a singularity power. The loss of the accumulated charge should be the penalty for using the power, not the loss of any benefit from the warp core. Any time you're in combat, the core is charging, and you simply decide when it's at a high enough level and/or the situation calls for using it.

If you want to make it a binary on/off thing then instead do this:

2) Singularity powers can be used any time the core is on line. They don't "charge up" they're just available or unavailable. There's no base penalty to the power level of romulan ships, but after they use a singularity power, their power levels drop -40 for 30 second or a minute or however long it takes for the core to recharge. Maybe have power levels come back up gradually, but the singularity powers aren't available until the full -40 penalty has worn off. Maybe even allow things like Siphon Power to speed this recharge up.

One or the other. Either a warp core is a thing that charges up until it can be used for some purpose, or it's a thing that can normally be used, but becomes "exhausted" temporarily. You cannot have this "Start with a penalty, slowly raise yourself out of that penalty, then use a power to put yourself back in queue before you can start raising yourself out of the penalty" garbage mechanic.

It's not fun, it's not dynamic, it's a gimmick for people who like having a big flashing "I win" button on their screen. When people figure out that the "I win" button either does or does not work consistently, some one (either Romulan players or non-Romulan players) are going to be pissed.

Last edited by voxinvictus; 05-13-2013 at 04:07 PM.