View Single Post
Captain
# 106
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeash, sorry it's taken me so long to get some logs for this/run through it. I'll try to chew through the episodes by the end of the week.

==Prologue==
-Captain Jurlek's voiceover audio quality is a bit sketchy. (It makes a poor first impression.)
-It's neat to see a holodeck used like this. While new people to the series may not pick up on it as much, those that are not (like myself) will appreciate it.
-There is something unusual about the starting disruptor pistol's model. It seems as if there are two overlapping/clipping models shown while firing.
-"These Klingon beds are surprisingly nice."
-Honestly, the voice-over work during the prison transfer/ambush actually broke a bit of the immersion. It didn't sell the scene very well.
-I like the different class mission objectives introduction.. Although I am a bit curious what the other classes would be tasked to do at this point. (I'm guessing medical aid and fire control.) Hinting at the other tasks in some way might help make the variety stand out more(you ARE trying to sell new players on the game at this stage).
-First Officer Doran's VO felt a bit too forced.. pausing too abruptly between words and not really 'flowing' like someone who is 'speaking'. Also, the accent left me constantly wanting to go "ARR! Me Hearties!"..
-"Sweet! We start with a Melee weapon!"
-"Pah! What a petaQ of a captain!"
-As much as I want to space Drake for being soo smug.. he does do a good job of helping explain Klingon culture to a player who may not be familiar.
-"Was a pop-filter even used during the recording of Captain Jurlek's voiceover?..."
-The Captain's reasoning is fair and relate-able, but still traitorous. He makes a good villain for the tutorial.
-It would have been neat if the player was introduced to/forced into melee battle with the Klingon - to both explain the mechanics and demonstrate the importance of melee combat to the Klingon Empire.
-It's also slightly afflicted with a paused cadence and 'arr! me hearties!' moments, but I like K'gan's voiceover, as a whole.
-The tooltip voiceovers have been great so far.
-I cracked a grin when K'Gan referred to the Federation as the "Feds". It's a cute touch for introducing people to the community lingo, although I'm not sure if a Klingon would actually say such a thing.
-I'm a little sad to see the B'rel doesn't have battlecloak, but I suppose its understandable, both as an old ship and to emphasize Romulans being the masters of cloak.
-I like Captain Kagdar's VO. It instantly makes him a character you want to cooperate with.
-Loved the Qo'noS introduction cutscene and audio cue.
-Warden Gazzan's VO is great and offers a good introduction to the Gorn. ("Hmm.. does that mean there's an Orion coming up as well?")
-The First City cutscene is also quite nice as setting the overall mood.
-"Cute reference with the cell number there."
-"Well well, back here again already.."
-I concede this is indeed a better place to introduce melee combat.
-"That Bat'Leth combo cheat-sheet is handy!"
-The atmospheric filter for First City needs work. Currently there is an offset shadowed square that is glaringly noticeable in the Great Hall.
-I laughed at the "Punch Ferengi" part..
-Majorog told Ch'gren he would "Pay for his loses" instead of "losses" right before the fight began.
-"Oh.. that was the first mission of 'Empire'.. oopsie, I didn't catch where it began."

==Empire==
-=Duties of Command=-
-See above

-=The Hunt Is On=-
-"I always wondered what was behind this door in First City..."
-I like the introduction to the Tailor - a very organic to introduce them to new players.
-I have to admit, my first impulse was to shoot the cameras. It was a bit disappointing to find out you couldn't.
-Hmm.. It might be possible for a new player to die in the Safehouse if they are not a science officer and are not aware of how to use hypos. Seeing as you're not given a science boff at this point, it might be a good idea to have tooltip about them here.
-"Where is this Master Spy?..." There was no map indicator/waypoint.
-Again, I like the organic introduction to the Shipyard.
-"Woah, I didn't realize the B'rel had the Koloth variant parts."

-=Space Chase=-
-"It's a long trip to the Boreth System..."
-The diplomatic route seems to have an issue with the final button choice.. it button text almost seems to indicate that it should be two separate buttons..
-"Aww Franklin Drake's widdle shuttle is adorable.."
-"Wow, a Typhoon?.. really? What is a Federation Battleship-of-the-line doing all the way out here.. and why is an antiquated B'rel more than a match for it?.." O_o;; Considering it took a small fleet to take out a Galaxy class earlier, perhaps changing the costume of this encounter to.. say.. an Akira class might be less of a suspension of disbelief?

-=Manhunt=-
-"Whew.. that's another sizeable trek all the way back over to Rura Penthe." I'm not sure if this was an intentional choice to lighten the load on servers, but I do worry a bit about the impression this might have on a 'prospective' new player.
-"Woah, it took me a bit to notice the cold-weather costumes.. Very nice touch!"
-My loading screens seem to be inconsistently changing colors back to federation after having manually changed my UI settings to "Default"
-The Torpedo from the ship was.. green instead of photon red.
-Overall, the mission is a great homage to Undiscovered Country.

-=Friend or Foe=-
-The explanation of sector transition was good.
-"I do love 'Klingon Diplomacy'."
-The mission kind of casts the player into more of a role of a bully than an 'honorable warrior'. Perhaps the dialogue could be reworked to make the station commander a bit more suspect before the Romulans arrive?
-Those Heavy Plasma Torpedos are rough on the little starter ship. The encounters were fine, overall though. I'm sure a new player would struggle a little, but would win. I might suggest adding in a tooltip about power distribution in this mission.
-The Romulan Republic tie-in works well here to introduce the faction and the current divide among the Romulans.
-The tooltip about needing to approach Qo'noS planet is good and should help avoid confusion from new players about what to do.