View Single Post
Captain
# 30
05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Capsule description:

Nniol tr'Keiniadh was once a Subcommander in the fleet of the Romulan Star Empire, chief science officer of IRW Raptor's Claw. Unfortunately for him, he found evidence that then-Captain Hakeev, a rising young star in the Tal Shiar, was colluding with unknown outsiders. He attempted to bring this to the attention of his superiors. Within a month, everyone he had spoken to was dead; he lived only because of some amazing coincidences. Seeing which way the wind was blowing, he immediately resigned his commission and fled.

The following years saw him bouncing from Ferengi freighter to Gorn transport to completely-unaffiliated trader, taking whatever jobs came his way, and drowning his problems in whatever came to hand. Eventually, he wound up on Drozana Station, unemployed, without prospects, and doing his best to hide in the bottom of a mug of Klingon bloodwine. It was here that D'Vex, an old friend of Nniol's family, found him. Drying the younger Rihannsu out, D'Vex made him an offer: he could come to Virinat, where the agricultural colony was struggling to survive after being virtually abandoned by the Empire, and where D'Vex could keep his young friend's past concealed. Stricken by a homesickness for his own people, Nniol agreed.

On Virinat, Nniol found people who looked like him, sounded like him, and didn't ask a lot of questions about his background. He settled in as an agronomist's assistant, helping to keep the crops growing. He made friends, built a life, and began to believe he might have left his old life behind - that is, until the Tal Shiar attacked...

Nniol knows now that Hakeev will never let him alone. The old thrai will keep hunting until Nniol has fallen. He has only one refuge - in the fleet of the new Romulan Republic.

Your love is cradled in glory,
Eyes in the mirror, still expecting they'll come,
And sensing too well, when the journey is done,
There is no turning back, no,
There is no turning back on the run...

- Robert Plant, "Big Log"
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts