Thread: Why do you PvP?
View Single Post
Captain
# 7
05-17-2013, 08:47 AM
What motivates you to PvP, in this game and/or others?

The challenge. Improving my game. Garnering a greater understanding of the game mechanics. Trying to make things work that folks say should not work. Being annoying - I tend toward "classes" in games that are other than strictly DPS: Warlock, Necromancer, ECM, various control/debuff/attrition type things. So to some extent, stress relief, eh? When I've had a bad day...well, I want to share.

Do you prefer straight up kill matches, capture the flag? Special modes?

I prefer matches that require additional tactics and even strategy than somewhat straight up arena-like matches. No doubt there's tactics and a strategy involved there that has to adapt, but I prefer a broader scope of things. I'm more of a RTS guy than a FPS guy.

Are you in it just for the competition?

Depends on the type of PvP. If it's casual, then it's more about the fun than being competitive. It's possible to have fun while losing, imho. On the other hand, if it's meaningful - as in something can be lost, whether territory, gear, etc, etc - then it's a different ballgame. Then it's about: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Are you in it for ego stroking? (I'm serious)

I go into fights expecting to be the worst player on the field, the first to die, and generally to lose. There's no ego there, but there's room for pleasant surprises when I'm not the worst player, not the first to die, and should we win.

I'm not going to get laid by being good at PvP (definitely not at being good at PvP in STO). It's not going to land me a job. I'm not going to bounce the grandkids on my knee and tell them about how back when I used to PvP we had to do it uphill both ways in the snow.

I do have a tendency to get into arguments with folks displaying ego. It just irks me. There's trash talking and it can be funny...but uh, there's folks out there that believe their trash talk.

Do you enjoy the social aspects (teaming, cooperation & coordination, competition against other live players)?

I used to be into far more organized PvP; but I couldn't deal with the drama. It's always been there, but as I've gotten older...I've just lost the patience for it. 15 years ago when I was still in my 20s, sure...even when I was still in my early to mid 30s, sure. Now? Yeah, no...damn kids need to get off my lawn.

Still though, PUGing is starting to get to me in STO and I'm actually thinking about trying to be more organized with the release of LoR.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin