Lt. Commander
# 1 food is unappetizing
02-03-2010, 07:36 AM
No, really. Something was missing from my game experience and when I figured out what it was, I decided to fire up the replicator and see what was available in the way of stat food. Oh look, this first item gives back 56% health over 3.5 sec. Neat. Hmm, the next one...gives back 56% health over 3.5 sec. I wonder what the next one does...It gives back 56% health over 3.5 sec...They ALL do EXACTLY the same thing. Why is there a veritable buffet menu on the replicator if EVERY piece of food does EXACTLY the same thing? Typically in games, different foods buff different stats. You load up on the food that buffs the stats you want so you can eke out another few points of DPS, defence, resistances, health, accuracy...whatever. The replicator should be your one-stop stat buff food shop before you beam down on your away mission. As it is, there's really only a couple dozen names for the same boring HoT.

I found that disappointing. it has (had?) so much potential. Hopefully they mix it up a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I think the way it is is fine because it allows you to RP your character eating whatever they want without having to worry about the bonuses. It adds some variety without forcing you to always eat a certain food.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanid
I think the way it is is fine because it allows you to RP your character eating whatever they want without having to worry about the bonuses. It adds some variety without forcing you to always eat a certain food.
um, then why bother having a bonus? If I replicate a piece of cake (Wait, the cake is a lie) my character doesn't run around with a piece of cake on a plate, so what's the RP value? If no one sees my cake, it really IS a lie. If the food is purely for RP, then why have the 56% health over 3.5 seconds? Do RPers lose alot of health lounging around on someones bridge?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
No, what I mean is that they couldve simply had an item called 'Food bla bla health points over x seconds' and be done with it. Lets just simply say replicated food of any kind gives this bonus, and they added all sorts simply for variety and nothing else.

It may be later that players can make food and it gets diff bonuses. It could be maybe found food will have diff bonuses. Etc.

Variety is the point. Aesthetics over utility.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
I have yet to even use any of the food items. I think the dang tribbles get in there sometimes though. I dont see much point to it. I heal up pretty quick after combat as it is. Why the food? If I cant use it IN combat there is no point to it taking up space in my inventory.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
I have yet to even use any of the food items. I think the dang tribbles get in there sometimes though. I dont see much point to it. I heal up pretty quick after combat as it is. Why the food? If I cant use it IN combat there is no point to it taking up space in my inventory.
This I agree with. Im usually healed up within seconds after a fight so whats the point of food then ?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 07:57 AM
You won't eat your freshly looted RACHT?! C'mon, fresh from dead klingon! :p

I am ever amused by the food drops. Though I just dump them in the replacator or try to breed tribbles with all the food I get. I used to feed it to BO's but they are pigs and I figure the energy credits will eventually add up.

Edit: It would be cool if eating granted some sort of small bonus depending on the food. There, I made a useful comment. Maybe I'd start feeding my BO's again if this were the case.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital3lf View Post

I am ever amused by the food drops. Though I just dump them in the replacator or try to breed tribbles with all the food I get. I used to feed it to BO's but they are pigs and I figure the energy credits will eventually add up.

Edit: It would be cool if eating granted some sort of small bonus depending on the food. There, I made a useful comment. Maybe I'd start feeding my BO's again if this were the case.
That could be it. the times I've bothered to look at what food did, it all did the same thing. 56% health over 3.5 seconds. It didn't seem to matter if it was dropped or replicated. I just figured all food in the game gives 56% health over 3.5 seconds. That had me disappointed. If I walk into a restaurant and the menu has 56 different names for the same plate of bland soy powder, I'm leaving. Sure, it's good for you and you can use your imagination to pretend soy powder is all kinds of interesting things. I'll always think it's unrealistic serve just that one dish and have 56 different names for it.

Don't get me wrong, if peeps want to RP with food, have at it. I just don't get the value of a replicator with a diverse menu if everything on it is the same flavour. But thats just me. Guess I'll start looking at dropped food. If it does something other than 56% health over 3.5 seconds I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital3lf View Post

Until STO food drops came around I had no idea there were so many Scotsmen so far from earth teaching aliens how to cook .... haggis.