Captain
The new Priority One Podcast with CaptainGeko revealed that Season 9 will feature a new kit revamp. (Listen to Interview, jump to 25:10 for Kit Revamp)

Apparently, all kits will be broken up into individual abilities. It will then be possible to slot five kit abilities into the kit slot at level 50. However, they also plan to convert non-consumable devices, such as the Shard of Possibilities, Ophidian Cane, and the Frosted Boots into Universal kit powers. As a result, players would be forced to decide between existing class kit abilities and non-consumable devices. Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.
--------------------------------------------------
Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
Captain
# 2
01-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Non-consumables are not a supplement for kit powers, they are a compliment. The shard of possibilities on my three-purple-security-doff tac officer allows for the development of a distinct "horde" playstyle. If I had to choose between that and something more basic like Ambush or Motion Acceleration I'd probably loose out on that extreme gameplay pathway (unless other options were also made available.)

Last edited by duncanidaho11; 01-31-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Captain
# 3
01-31-2014, 07:28 PM
I agree with everything said before this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwashington View Post
That's right it's going to be another K'vort thread!
Republic Veteran
# 4
02-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanidaho11 View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly. Non-consumables are not a supplement for kit powers, they are a compliment. The shard of possibilities on my three-purple-security-doff tac officer allows for the development of a distinct "horde" playstyle. If I had to choose between that and something more basic like Ambush or Motion Acceleration I'd probably loose out on that extreme gameplay pathway (unless other options were also made available.)
Indeed. I don't like the idea of them using up a kit slot. The shard of possibilities is good as a non-consumable device, but not as one of 5 kit powers. The same is true of any other device.
Great News!

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-31-2014, 07:31 PM
I would hope if they do that, they'd also expand how many ability slots we have to chose from. Otherwise, yeah, that is a pretty hefty reduction in deck space. Ground's already really ability-light, and hasn't been hit by power creep nearly as hard as space.
Captain
# 6
01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
I would hope if they do that, they'd also expand how many ability slots we have to chose from.
Personally, I want the kit slots to remain at 5, otherwise you will further decrease build variance because everyone will have enough slots to use the majority of the kit abilities. 5 kit slots and 4 device slots is perfect, splitting kits into separate abilities is great, but I don't want to see them go overboard on it by turning all non-consumable devices into kit abilities. You know what would come next, universal lockbox kit abilities with superior stats to existing kit abilities. I personally don't want to see that kind of thing added to the game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
01-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
Personally, I want the kit slots to remain at 5, otherwise you will further decrease build variance because everyone will have enough slots to use the majority of the kit abilities.
That could quickly become the case if devices remained where they are, but with devices moved the pool of available kit abilities almost doubles (and will presumably only grow with time).

The bigger issue I think is that over time devices would overrun kit powers to the point that rather than everybody having room for most kit abilities, nobody has room for much of any kit abilities, having them choked out by better things from lockboxes or FEs. It's not a problem you run into with space powers, as they occupy incompatible spaces.
Captain
# 8
01-31-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm just afraid that the revamp will kill specialty builds. Can we get an extra slot for dedicated kits, like say Medical?

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Captain
# 9
01-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
I'm just afraid that the revamp will kill specialty builds. Can we get an extra slot for dedicated kits, like say Medical?
Geko confirmed that all existing kits in the game will be kept in their existing clusters when the game goes live. Players make take apart the cluster, but they apparently won't be required to do so. Thus, medical kits will still be put together. However, if you have a Borg Medical Analyst kit, it would be wise to sell it soon. Once this goes live, players will be capable of running that kit combination without paying millions of energy credits.
Career Officer
# 10
01-31-2014, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
Hmmm, so five slots.

I can see it working, provided that there were some restrictions.

Two ways of doing it.

First one, restrict certain currently class based powers to their current classes.

So, for instance, only engineers could slot quantum mortars, but all classes could slot medical tricorder.

The other option is to retain the class categories but open up all the skills too pick

However, a quantity of your slots would be reserved for class specific powers only.

On balance, I think the latter would work best.

Level one, three and five slots being class specific.

Slots two and four being open.

As for devices, I actually don't mind them being reclassed as universal kit powers provided there's a slot especially reserved for universal kit powers.

Means a toon would start with two kit slots. One class based, one universal.

ETA realised my explanation of the universal slot was unclear. It would be in addition to the normal slots, giving you six kit slots at level 50