Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Commander
Trying to get a fairly canon name for my Reman's Warbird, but because I'm an idiot I seek help from those fluent or knowledgeable in Rihan (Protogoth, I summon thee!)

So, in keeping with the Reman's dislike of bright light and the Romulan's love for sneakery and cloaking, I decided to name it something that reflects these things.

So I got vastam, which means Wing, and terrh, which means shadow. If I wanted my Warbird's name to be Winged Shadow, would it be written Vastam'eri Terrh or Vastam'terrh? Or are both ways wrong?
Captain
# 2
02-10-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm in a similar boat actually, I'm levelling up a Reman, and I'd like his final ship to be called 'Memory of Remus' in Rihan. There's plenty of dictionaries online where I can find individual words, but they're not a lot of help with grammar and sentence structure. XD

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Captain
# 3
02-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Back when I named my warbirds, I was of the understanding that a Romulan language was never developed, just a large smattering of words and phrases. Using these, what's posted on the internet, I managed a name or two from those, but ultimately took the course several have and used Latin to name my ships.

Am I incorrect and there is now a developed Romulan language? I'm actually surprised there hasn't been so far, considering the popularity of Klingon.

Hmm...maybe I'll look into Quenya or Sindarin for future names. After all, many refer to the Romulans as Star Trek elves.

Last edited by steamwright; 02-11-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Commander
# 4
02-11-2014, 12:49 AM
http://www.rihan.org/drupal/

Listen to undyingzero though, @protogoth knows what she's talking about, apart from Rihannsu politics that is.
Republic Veteran
# 5
02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltrrn View Post
http://www.rihan.org/drupal/

Listen to undyingzero though, @protogoth knows what she's talking about, apart from Rihannsu politics that is.
Ahr'yy'a na Shiar ih'Saeihr Rihan. Flaihh'u ch'Rihan! Flaihh'u ch'Virinat! Thiich'u Khreh'dhhokh Mol'Rihan u' na Mol'Rihannsu!

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Praetor of the Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Commander
# 6
02-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
Ahr'yy'a na Shiar ih'Saeihr Rihan. Flaihh'u ch'Rihan! Flaihh'u ch'Virinat! Thiich'u Khreh'dhhokh Mol'Rihan u' na Mol'Rihannsu!
Oh you, with your crazed ramblings. Your precious D'tan can never compare with the skill of Obisek or Sela. Without the Klingons or the Humans, the Rihannsu would still be on Rator III, the original "New Romulus". The Republic will wither after a while anyways, because without the Star Empire, the Rihannsu have no home, the Republic can never make up for that.
Republic Veteran
# 7
02-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Back when I named my warbirds, I was of the understanding that a Romulan language was never developed, just a large smattering of words and phrases. Using these, what's posted on the internet, I managed a name or two from those, but ultimately took the course several have and used Latin to name my ships.

Am I incorrect and there is now a developed Romulan language? I'm actually surprised there hasn't been so far, considering the popularity of Klingon.

Hmm...maybe I'll look into Quenya or Sindarin for future names. After all, many refer to the Romulans as Star Trek elves.
Or you could check up on Romulan Language Resources.

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Praetor of the Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
Republic Veteran
# 8
02-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
I'm in a similar boat actually, I'm levelling up a Reman, and I'd like his final ship to be called 'Memory of Remus' in Rihan. There's plenty of dictionaries online where I can find individual words, but they're not a lot of help with grammar and sentence structure. XD
Memory of Remus:

Flaihhsam ch'Havran (Memory of Remans), Flaihhsam s'ch'Havran (? = Memory of Remus, best I can figure if we take "ch'Havran" as the nominative-accusative form of the planet's name, although strictly speaking, the name of the planet should be fully "euhre ch'Havran" = "planet of Remans", and thus a technically more correct and more sensible name would be "Flaihhsam euhren ch'Havran" = "Memory of the Planet of Remans").

Republic Veteran
# 9
02-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undyingzero View Post
Trying to get a fairly canon name for my Reman's Warbird, but because I'm an idiot I seek help from those fluent or knowledgeable in Rihan (Protogoth, I summon thee!)

So, in keeping with the Reman's dislike of bright light and the Romulan's love for sneakery and cloaking, I decided to name it something that reflects these things.

So I got vastam, which means Wing, and terrh, which means shadow. If I wanted my Warbird's name to be Winged Shadow, would it be written Vastam'eri Terrh or Vastam'terrh? Or are both ways wrong?

Neither is correct.

"Vastam" means "wing" in the sense of military maneuvering and tactics, not in terms of birds or ships. The "wing" of a bird or aircraft or spaceship is "aen." That's simple enough.

Next comes something slightly more complex, and that's the derivation of the adjective from the noun. Note that the English "winged" is based on a verb never (or very seldom) actually used in English; the Romulan "aen," however, is a noun. As such, you will not get the meaning "winged" by simply attaching the -'eri suffix to the root. Here we face a choice: do we go with something like "wingy" or "wingous" (which, to be honest, would convey essentially the same meaning as "winged"), or do we invent a Romulan verb "to wing" (in the sense of "to equip with wings"), and then make an adjective of that?

This gives us two main options:
aenemh (wingy) aenai (wingous) ih'aen (wing-ial, wingish, wing-like, etc)
or
ihrraen'eri (winged).

I would personally recommend aenai or ihrraen'eri.

Next comes "terrh," which actually means "darkness." For "shadow," the word you want is "laehval."

Now we must consider Rihan syntax. With but few exceptions, a word which modifies another comes after the word it modifies. So in this case, you would write:

Laehval Ihrraen'eri.

Commander
# 10
02-11-2014, 08:23 AM
My summons hath been answered, the epohh and Tal'Shiar blood sacrifice worked. Khnai'ra, protogoth!

So, if I wanted to use Darkness instead of Shadow (I crosswired both for some reason) it'd be Terrh Ihrraen'eri? I could live with that :3