Starfleet Veteran
Greetings,

It's been a couple of weeks since the Geko/D'Angelo interviews that basically laid out what we can expect for Foundry development for the near future. However something Geko said stuck with me. He said that when looking at what features to add, they have to look at what will bring the most bang for their buck.

Not all potential Foundry features are equal, some would require great time and resources, and others would require smaller amounts of resources. Some would be of big benefit to a few authors and others would be of small benefit to many authors.

I'm not here to tell you which is which. In fact I'm here to ask you, the Foundry community, that very question. What bits of tech, slight alterations or small additions would bring the most bang for Cryptic's development buck?

I'm not looking for yet another list, I want you to explain your answer. Why do you think your answer would provide greater benefit to the Foundry tool as a whole? How can the development time be kept down?

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
02-14-2014, 07:38 AM
I think the obvious answer is the road the devs seem to have already decided to go down, which is things from Neverwinter.

Now, I don't think that editor is inherently superior to ours. I think our interface is much, much better (just my personal opinion), but there are some bells and whistles that would be very useful and all of which we've talked about before: Campaigns, quest objects and associated triggers, NPC single walking path, NPC turn friendly when damaged, etc.

I'm going to guess the most time intensive of these to port would be the 3D nudger.

But, obviously, what happens when we run out of bells and whistles from Neverwinter to port over. Well there are the two features that were removed: dialogue with object objective and costume import export. These things have already been built, they just need to be fixed.

Beyond that, I don't need much, just what I have always been advocating is getting more maps, costumes and objects tagged.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Career Officer
# 3
02-14-2014, 08:04 AM
I have to agree that porting items (maps, mobs, Neverwinter editing features, etc.) is the most effective way to maximize developer cost/time on the Foundry. Even the addition of just one item (like a new map or mob) gives authors a whole new way to tell stories.

That said, I think the most important thing the Foundry needs right now, and would be worth it's weight in gold development time-wise, is better access to this amazing resource STO has.

In lieu of anything else currently, our talented Cryptic team needs to implement something like this http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=943411 in order to bring the Foundry out of it's current funk.

In my opinion, this should be priority one for any development time thrown at the Foundry. Because if no one can see your mission, it doesn't matter how many great resources or tools you have available.
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371

Last edited by captainhunter1; 02-14-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
02-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhunter1 View Post
I have to agree that porting items (maps, mobs, Neverwinter editing features, etc.) is the most effective way to maximize developer cost/time on the Foundry right now. Even the addition of of just one item (like a new map or mob) gives authors a whole new way to tell stories.

That said, I think the most important thing the Foundry needs right now, and would be worth it's weight in gold development time-wise, is better access to this amazing resource STO has.

In lieu of anything else currently, our talented Cryptic team needs to implement something like this http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=943411 in order to bring the Foundry out of it's current funk.

In my opinion, this should be priority one for any development time thrown at the Foundry. Because if no one can see your mission, it doesn't matter how many great resources or tools you have available.
I knew I was forgetting something. SEARCH INTERFACE!!!!!
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Captain
# 5
02-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Most bang for the least buck:

1. Implementing Captain Hunter's UI suggestions (especially a next button for browsing).

2. Getting tacofangs to spend 3 hours texturing primitives with ceilings, floors, and walls.

3. Bug fixes, from the lack of textures to freecam.

4. Having somebody, anybody, in charge of the Foundry, even if they only have 4 hours a week to even think about it.

If those 4 things happened, then I would be happy. Sadly, I doubt anyone will even read this thread.

I would trade those 4 things for "ports" from NW, because those ports would be dysfunctional and buggy.
Captain
# 6
02-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Improved search interface would Help everybody, players and authors alike, so thats my number one desired improvement for the foundry

Other than that I would love to get the option to make NPCs follow the player, OR run away from the player , but just a bit slower than we can run , so that we could have chase objectives
oh and the ability to make them non hostile below a certain level of health ( like the freighters you disable in a fed mission )

During this Foundry Bonus Weekend, don't just choose the shortest missions, choose to play the best missions. Have more fun, get more marks!

Starfleet Veteran
# 7
02-14-2014, 03:40 PM
The most bang for buck comes from demonstrating to Cryptic and PWE that the foundry brings in more players and revenue. That's the only way we will get big improvements to the foundry.

So my proposal is to have a "Foundry Week". have Christine Thomson and the STO team to come up with a mini story-arc that ties in with the current Dyson sphere storyline. Then we get 7 foundry authors to each create one foundry mission for the story arc. And we release one mission every day.
Captain
# 8
02-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Most bang for the least buck:

1. Implementing Captain Hunter's UI suggestions (especially a next button for browsing).

2. Getting tacofangs to spend 3 hours texturing primitives with ceilings, floors, and walls.

3. Bug fixes, from the lack of textures to freecam.

4. Having somebody, anybody, in charge of the Foundry, even if they only have 4 hours a week to even think about it.

If those 4 things happened, then I would be happy. Sadly, I doubt anyone will even read this thread.

I would trade those 4 things for "ports" from NW, because those ports would be dysfunctional and buggy.
I am in full agreement here. A better interface. Bug fixes and get it out of beta, pvp isn't stuck in beta...
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR