Lt. Commander
Well, I think I can explain the problem actually. It may be related to the heat of the GPU. Thing is, I have the fan running at 100% and I am having a hard time keeping the temp below 70 Degrees C. When the game is running, it easily goes above 100 Degrees C. The temp will climb until the chip stops and the game crashes.

This is my card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-285-_-Product

This is my PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eals-_-na-_-na

I am running this on a Quad Core. This problem is occurring after a recent Video card update.

Now . . . let me explain something else. The instructions for the card do not require you to plug in the supplemental power. There is no instruction to do it at all. When I first loaded the card without plugging in the power, the card ran fine; but I got an error message saying that it was under powered. Though it was underpowered, I ran STO and it was great.

So, today I thought, "HEY! I bet I can get that card to run better if I plug in the power." I do this; and I no longer get an error message. Problem is, I get terrible flickering as the temperature rises.

Any idea as to why this is happening? In the mean time, I will be running the game without the power plugged into the card.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 03:42 AM
You might need a better PSU. As the 650 watt refers to the total load from all your components. Then agai, you might have a faulty card that needs to be RMA'd. This could have been an inherent fault in the card itself, or might have been caused by the GU being used without adequate power.

A bit of advice, If the card requires it's own power supply, whch yours does, NEVER run it without connecting it up. You will damage the card and probably risk it unable to be RMA'd by the manufacturer.

Bascally you'll be doing more harm than good if you run it without the recommended power supply conencted up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Well . . . not is not the PSU that is the problem. The card requires a PSU with 450W - 12V+ @ 24Amps. My power supply is 650W - 12V+ @54A. You would be hard pressed to get a 1 Video Card computer to push 650W.

Well, the instructions that came with the card do not tell you to plug in the supplemental power. The problems I am having only occur when I plug in the power. The temperature difference is ~20 degrees C. The added power really makes the card run hot; which makes me wonder if the instructions do not tell you to put the power into the card for a reason.

I think the issue, if I am supposed to plug the card in, is the card itself. I wouldn't think the card would be the problem if the rest of my computer's components weren't at 30 degrees C (including the PSU).

Gargh Hardware that make games pretty!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Before you jump to conclusions this may be a client issue. Few patches back they introduced a nasty flicker in the Klingon Login screen. This effect can also be seen in other circumstances such as fog or the nebulas with gas clouds and certain lighting settings. It might even be related to post process effects. Assuming it's not happening to everything in the game and just certain places I would just wait for them to fix the offending graphic function. If your seeing flicker on everything then that is a seperate issue than what I am refering to.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Nope, its not a client issue. I get a similar flicker from ****.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Sounds like RMA time to be honest then. Any way to test the card in another PC? If not just call support and see what they say. Power supply should be ok assuming your not running a bunch of other non standard perhperials. That card has two power supply connections right?