Lt. Commander
I was not big on the death penalty discussions one way or the other. However in ground combat I notice I get a lot of hypos, shield boosts, and food. All which help you fight in battle or recover after.

But since you spawn if you die, you really don't have to use any of those do you? Nothing bad happens, you just keep fighting.

And as far as the food goes, your health recovers so fast, or is done by your crew, I never have used that.

I am only lt commander, so perhaps it changes later. But if it doesn't, I wonder if there should be any reason for all the boosts and remedies?

Heated debate aside, something seems to be out of balance. That said I am enjoying the episodic format a lot now that I'm doing the admiral's missions. Not a fancy story but better than fetching teeth from toothless bears and bringing them back!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
only thing food is good for is breeding tribbles all those shields and hypos are only good for shop food. It's sad though cuz some poor idiot at cryptic probably spent alot of time designing those items for us to use in game shame most will never use them as intended cuz they are unnecessary for anything other than shop food
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 09:58 AM
indeed combat overall should be more difficult so we have a reason to use these things
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I use them cause i dont like dieing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
indeed combat overall should be more difficult so we have a reason to use these things

Not really harder just longer cuz atm combat goes by to fast for u to have a chance to use the items. I think the only answer to this problem is to give players and mobs alike a massive boost in shield and hp. It would slow down all fights and make using healing items more meaning full.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2010, 10:05 AM
now perhaps you are doing missions too low for your crew

I had moments where I was owning maps like nobody's business, but around lt cmd I started getting missions over my level to open up for me.

now let me tell ya, jump a lt cmdr grade 1 or 2 into an episode for ltc 6, and by god you will use that stuff, within the first 5 seconds of shooting the first mob my ps is gone and I have a klink swordmaster chopping me into tribble chow, you betcha those useless little trinkets suddenly make a whole lot of difference.

you bet when that screen goes gray im popping shield boost, batteries and heal like a madman.

at this point my complaint is the cooldown is too long for those items, considering the amount of good they do, its a little lopsided
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
cooldown needs to be long so if u live or die doesnt always come down to how many hypos/shields regens u got on u . I have seen many games screw themselves over by making hp/shield/mana pots way to important and living or dieing entirely depended on how fast u could pop pots. That just pve dont even get me started on how badly pvp will be screwed if they reduce the cooldown to much
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2010, 10:17 AM
There have been a few tough ground battles in the game (or else I was too far ahead, level-to-mission difficulty wise) where I've had to use both hypo's and shield generators. ("Ultimate Klingon" mission, for ex)

When you get 2 or 3 Klingon Swordmasters all running at you with batleths that do direct physical damage, you'll be happy you had a hypo!

Lt. Commander
# 9
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
havnt used the food, but all the other stuff I use regular basis, I dont care if there is no death penalty, I still prefer completing things without dieing, allthough I wish there was some kind of death penalty.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't just keep them for myself. I give a lot of them to my BO's, and I know they use them.