Lt. Commander
# 1 Federation Advantage
02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
What is the advantage of Federation ships vs. Klingons?

Klingon's get
Cloaking
Cannons on Cruiser's
Choice of BOff's rather than ship required slots on some ships.

I'm not making a complaint just curious on the difference.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 07:00 PM
More hull/shields typically.
More endgame choices in BO stations (2 tac or 2sci, etc).
Sci ships with +10 aux and the full set of beam target subsystem.
Only the BoP has universal stations, but it has fewer stations and weapons overall.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodan View Post
More hull/shields typically.
More endgame choices in BO stations (2 tac or 2sci, etc).
Sci ships with +10 aux and the full set of beam target subsystem.
Only the BoP has universal stations, but it has fewer stations and weapons overall.
Hull is the weakest thing to take damage and the only difference in shileds really is if the Klingon has no gear compared to the Fed

Wait we have more choices for our BO stations? How so? You mean the choices between ships? Well that is true.

So you want to say one ship gets +10 aux? Ok well One ship on Klingon gets healing/dps pets?

Wait the stations again? So having the option to have a ship that can have 4 of any kind of BO you like is a bad thing now?

Past the carrier the lowest turn rate Klingons have is 9 on T5. While for the Feds it is 6. Meaning 1 +30% turn rate console gives a crap load more.

About the cannon issue.

Ok again, the option to use cannons on your cruiser is a bad thing because of the cruiser turn rate? Which is 9 by the way, something Feds would love let alone cloak

The hulls may be smaller but it is the most easily damaged part of your ship. If your shields are gone you are dead very very fast. This is with 22.9% in all resists currently. The ability to turn your ship to ther other shields creates much more damage absorbtion.

Also the larger crews help quite a bit when fixing things up.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Decided to play feds tonight rather than my Klingon.

Set defense rather than offense and took on a BOP. With origional issue gear I out tanked his DPS. (T1) I out healed his DPS and beat him. Took a while but I got him.

Did another match. Match ended with feds doing way less damage that Klingons, but feds won. I healed for Feds while no Klingons healed. I had a 8-1 kill/die ratio.

So while Klingons had cloak it really doesn't matter. Just play tank as fed and you can kick their behind.

Set your shields to 100, spam shield distrobution and start killing the Klingons. Make sure a BO has some type of heal.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
In general, the kdf ships are superior to the fed ships on a one to one basis. They do not support one another as well, however because they are not set up as dedicated role-ships -- so the fed ships can coordinate and make a more effective group.

They are in general lighter, turn faster and have greater offensive power and cloaking.

A direct comparison doesn't really give you a clear picture.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Well that might be because of good tanking plus good player skills. I also seem to outclass my Klingon opponents but I assume it's because of bad Klingon Players not because of any inherent advantage. What I am curious about is why is there is no apparent Federation advantage if the Klingon's appear to have a stronger probability of victory do to inherent ship advantages.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloryfox View Post
Well that might be because of good tanking plus good player skills. I also seem to outclass my Klingon opponents but I assume it's because of bad Klingon Players not because of any inherent advantage. What I am curious about is why is there is no apparent Federation advantage if the Klingon's appear to have a stronger probability of victory do to inherent ship advantages.
Lots of things.

Kdf have almost no pve, so the kdf players who play only klingon have nothing but human opponents. They don't end up identifying with pve roles. Their ships and their skills are entirely set up for killing player ships.

feds on the other hand do all manner of pve, and so they end up identifying with roles - tank, dps, support - and they spec into those roles. You will rarely see kdf outside of premades that supports other kdf.

That's just the nature of wolves.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Science ships also heal significantly better than any other ship with not only the aux based 'science' powers, but with the crew based powers (science team, engineering team) as well.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Cannons have a narrow 45 degree arc. Try using them on a Cruiser. True, some have a 90 degree arc but they have less DPS.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lloyd
Cannons have a narrow 45 degree arc. Try using them on a Cruiser..
Klingon Cruisers turn twice as fast as federation cruisers, and you can get into position while invisible, so people can't avoid your opening volley no matter what.