Lt. Commander
# 1 STO: MMO or Not
02-07-2010, 05:02 AM
I am coming from years of experience of MMO's where the player logs on into a game world that he can interact with, be it with crafting, PvE,PvP so on and so forth. STO doesnt feel like a MMO at all. more like a collection of links to instance groups.
Where is the content? How come I can beam down to Qo'os and only be able to go the Great Hall?
How come I can go to the Sol System but only beam over to a huge star base and not to beam to Federation Headquarters in San Fransico?
What i'm getting at is that the Planets need to be filled in with content, cities for players to live in(cant live in your ship 24/7) There needs to be Crafting and alot more added.

Discuss
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 05:09 AM
Lack of content is one of the major issues of this game.

But Cryptic seem to care more about marketing (like this ridiculous "zomg we had an amazing week", which was an INSULT to all players!) and filling the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 05:11 AM
I don't feel like it's very MMOish. I've pretty much played the entire game solo. I know that's more my play style. But i play most MMOs solo but at least I run into others while playing, and make friends in-game. This is way too isolating.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Its not a MMO, its a CORPG
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Actually I would say it's more a MMOG... as there is no active roleplaying happening anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
Actually I would say it's more a MMOG... as there is no active roleplaying happening anyway.
how about a COG then (Co-operative Online Game)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnuting View Post
. . . but at least I run into others while playing, and make friends in-game. This is way too isolating.
I have also plaid my fair share of MMORPG's - EQ, EQ2, SWG . . . Unfortunately, I've had no choice but to describe STO to my friends as "an over-glorified clan server". Sure, I've have 2 friends that also got into this game, but, as Winnuting stated above, there's really no way to meet and run into others, like I'm used to doing . . .

There is the lack of MASSIVE in this MMO, IMHO . . .

As I had stated in other posts, Cryptic has avoided the "world server" issue, but by doing so, all they can really do, to handle the sheer number and influx of players, is to have an instanced or "clan server" structure.

- ALBATROSS!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 06:06 AM
It's not a MMO anymore than Starcraft or Diablo is a MMO. Just because everyone is connected to the same login server (like in battle.net) not everyone actually plays together in a persistent world/universe, everyone is sectioned off and quartered into tiny instances of either 20 people in sector space, 5 in away missions or regular space missions, and like 20 in fleet actions.

This is more like guildwars than anything. It's not a real MMO, just a mock one.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Money Making Online Role Playing Game?

Yepp.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Considering the number of people in my fleet and the fact that I never run into any of them running around the galaxy, I don't feel it's very much like an MMOG. The funny thing is I came up with a sort of instanced design like this for a game I worked on once and I was shouted out of the dev conference for it. While I'm sure it's easier on the budget to handle it this way it takes about 75% of the fun out of playing it because most of us came looking for a true MMO experience.