Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Flotilla
Login

Lieutenant
I'm looking for some advice if I should upgrade my Torp Spread from II to III while downgrading my FAW to II. I'm currently using Protonic Polaron beam arrays and a full Protonic Arsenal. Calculating my crits, my Gravimetric Photon Torpedo has a 41% crit while the rest of my beams arrays has a 22% and my experimental weapon has a 28% crit. Do you think it's worth upgrading my Torp Spread to III?
Commander
# 2
04-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Depending on the ship you are using, and what you are trying to do with it, one might be more beneficial or it could be something else entirely. With beam arrays, I expect you are looking for PvE advice? What ship are you using, what is the current equipment loadout and BOFF setup?
Captain
# 3
04-09-2014, 05:22 PM
FAW3 or TS3 with the Grav Torpedo?

One would think FAW3 would win out anytime, esp. if trying to fit a torpedo into the build.

However, you're talking about the Grav Torp, which changes the game quite a bit in PVE.

For general purposes, esp. with your beam + grav torp build, I would go with FAW3.

But... if you have Grav Well and you have the Dyson Grav Torp, you need to have Torp Spread 3. Most esp. so if you have good Particle Generators Skill (determines the "rift" damage). With Grav Well to bunch up your targets, firing Dyson Grav Torp with Torp Sprd 3 into that blob is devastating. If the rifts occur, you don't even need Energy Weapons. For PVE, a Torp Boat with Grav Well can literally wipe out waves of NPCs by itself in a few seconds and not require Energy Weapons fire.

Cryptic's Development Philosophy for the KDF & PVP
Captain
# 4
04-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stongbads View Post
I'm looking for some advice if I should upgrade my Torp Spread from II to III while downgrading my FAW to II. I'm currently using Protonic Polaron beam arrays and a full Protonic Arsenal. Calculating my crits, my Gravimetric Photon Torpedo has a 41% crit while the rest of my beams arrays has a 22% and my experimental weapon has a 28% crit. Do you think it's worth upgrading my Torp Spread to III?
TS only fires one time, FAW fires all the time (for the duration)
Captain
# 5
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
faw will outdps ts by far. Exception being Romulan plasma torp firing ts3 into grav well. Grav photon torp with ts3 firing into grav well, even assuming 100% chance of rift, will not produce anywhere close to the dps of either romulan torp or faw from 6 beams arrays.
Critical Hit Calculator
Career Officer
# 6
04-09-2014, 08:35 PM
I would suggest getting THY3 with the Gravimetric Torp. It does a massive amount of area damage and mixes quite well with GW3.
Join Unrepentant!
Captain
# 7
04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlapo View Post
I would suggest getting THY3 with the Gravimetric Torp. It does a massive amount of area damage and mixes quite well with GW3.
That's wrong, the single large rift's dmg is far lower compared to potentially many rift stacked on top of each other, which is in turn far lower compared to romulan torp spread splash.
Critical Hit Calculator
Career Officer
# 8
04-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet View Post
That's wrong, the single large rift's dmg is far lower compared to potentially many rift stacked on top of each other, which is in turn far lower compared to romulan torp spread splash.
I am not talking about the gravimetric rift, I am talking about the massive damage variance the HY version has. In my case non-critical damage goes from 25k to 100k, and the explosion covers the GW3 area of effect quite nicely.
Join Unrepentant!
Captain
# 9
04-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stongbads View Post
How do you have so many high critical chances?? , we assume you using all SO boffs, right?
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
04-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Hey, maybe someone in this thread might help me fit up my scimitar. Here's what I'm looking at:

I have a reman sci captain and and a tactical scimitar. I've been using a normal setup with aux to battery, 7 plasma beams (caustics, had a long break and I'm still raising my reps) and a borg cutting beam. However I feel that it's very boring to play that way and scimitar looks silly firing broadsides as it's clearly designed to fire forward plus not having a torp on a ship is not very authentic trek to my tastes.

So, as the dyson rep is rising fastest, I was thinking of putting together a scimitar with dual beam protonic polaron banks, the proton weapon, the gravity torps and the lot, together with dyson tactical consoles buffing proton damage. Would that actually work or would it be terrible? I'm not looking for 30k dps since I'm not gonna pvp with this character and not like infected space elite even needs that. An 'ok' ship would work for me but not a terrible one. I have plasmonic console available but not the valdore one.

Last edited by dyvna; 04-10-2014 at 08:31 AM.