Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
I have to say that most of what I've seen of season 9 so far is good (especially saving power tray setup when switching ships), with the obvious exceptions of losing rep traits that I had earned and the graphics problems.

Before season 9 I always played with all graphics/cpu settings onmax with no problem, but now with maxed settings my PC appears to be struggling. I've messed around with the graphics settings but fps are causing things like movement to be a bit jecky in ESD and in busy space fleet actions (e.g. Starbase 24). Elite STFs that I've tried seem fine but fleet actions with a lot of ships on screen causes terrible lag.

I like the graphics revamp, the effects look even cooler than before, but something is causing lag and I don't believe it is my quadcore CPU or my AMD card.

Is anyone else getting the same effect with max settings in S9? If so did you find a setting in particular that is causing it? I thought it was Dx11, but it does the same on Dx9 as well.
Commander
# 2
04-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Yes, I've noticed definite hitching in certain places while looking in certain directions on new ESD. The screen stuttered and FPS noticeably drops to single digits (normally in the 40fps range at max details) while looking at, moving towards or panning past those directions. I've been unable to identify any specific object or lighting detail that causes the problem. Framerate smoothing in the STO client has no effect, on or off, dynamic or not.

I thought this might be just ESD, but then I zoned into AT from Sirius and saw the same thing... more hitching for several seconds in every direction. Maybe it was textures loading? Dont know... but the hard drive was not active/busy, perfmon showed no spikes, and it did the same thing when I zoned in on another ship. Same thing also happened zoning from ZA to BU.

Maybe it is ship density. If BU and AT were busy at the time (around server up after the patch), could account for that. As for the issues on ESD 2.0, the hitching did tend to occur when looking towards where there might be ships in the background, although the hitching occured even when no ships were visible and I was just looking at a blank wall, so maybe something is off, it rendering stuff that's not visible.

This all happened when the graphics device was set to Auto. Tested forcing it to DX11, same thing, so I assume Auto was using DX11. Forced it to DX9e and the issue seemed to go away. ** update, happens in all DX modes, just the impact seems less in dx9.

Note that previously I had been using the client in DX11 for many months without any issues at all, and in fact performance was slightly better than DX9 mode.

Last edited by tpolebreaker; 04-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Ensign
# 3
06-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolebreaker View Post

This all happened when the graphics device was set to Auto. Tested forcing it to DX11, same thing, so I assume Auto was using DX11. Forced it to DX9e and the issue seemed to go away. ** update, happens in all DX modes, just the impact seems less in dx9.

Note that previously I had been using the client in DX11 for many months without any issues at all, and in fact performance was slightly better than DX9 mode.
Ah- strange. And I need to know: how do I force Directx 9 mode (I'm in dx11 now)? I can't find the instructions anywhere and I don't have a troubleshooting tab in options in-game?
Survivor of Remus
# 4
06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalak1 View Post
Ah- strange. And I need to know: how do I force Directx 9 mode (I'm in dx11 now)? I can't find the instructions anywhere and I don't have a troubleshooting tab in options in-game?

Im not sure if i have missed a post, so, i can only offer you a "possible" solution

Should be able to go to Options, then Display, and change it to DX 9 there. You will have to exit the game tho for the changes to take effect.

Im not sure if this will work if you are still having issues trying to change to DX 9, but,
Open launcher, click on Options on top of launcher, then check the box that says " Safe Mode". I think, from memory(been a while since i had to do this), it resets all your graphics to defaults.
Continue to load the game, then change your graphics as to how you want them set. Close the game and restart it normally.

Hope this helps
Captain
# 5
07-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Has this been fixed since s9.5 came out? I'm not able to test myself as no net atm
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk View Post
Has this been fixed since s9.5 came out? I'm not able to test myself as no net atm
No, it's not been fixed I'm afraid. Still graphics and major FPS problems around. Everything that is coming out at the moment will have been scheduled for donkeys. You just have to hope that they will be able to take a look at this at some point in the future.
Captain
# 7
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genemorph View Post
I have to say that most of what I've seen of season 9 so far is good (especially saving power tray setup when switching ships), with the obvious exceptions of losing rep traits that I had earned and the graphics problems.

Before season 9 I always played with all graphics/cpu settings onmax with no problem, but now with maxed settings my PC appears to be struggling. I've messed around with the graphics settings but fps are causing things like movement to be a bit jecky in ESD and in busy space fleet actions (e.g. Starbase 24). Elite STFs that I've tried seem fine but fleet actions with a lot of ships on screen causes terrible lag.

I like the graphics revamp, the effects look even cooler than before, but something is causing lag and I don't believe it is my quadcore CPU or my AMD card.

Is anyone else getting the same effect with max settings in S9? If so did you find a setting in particular that is causing it? I thought it was Dx11, but it does the same on Dx9 as well.
Too bad they didnt fix the empty stations when switching ships.. and the loadout system fails. zzz

Obviously cryptic did something to the way the engine is managing the graphics, and in some system the changes can be enormous. There are graphics issues everywhere. If not the same as yours, others. In my case , my screen is so bright that i cant even play, it hurt my eyes. The only solution i found is to deactivate the postprocessing but if i do that, the game turns out really dark and in some situations is not pleasant. So, i am also screwed up. Modyfing the brightness doesnt help either. For example, the desert on Nimbus III. That is a pain in the xxxs

There is no difference between DX9 and DX11 talking about quality (at least not in this game), and in my case i get more performance (i think) using DX9 than using DX11. Have you tried to change any options on the advanced tab? the troubleshooting ones?

Last edited by edgecrysger; 04-22-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
There is an issue with CPU/GPU utilization in S9, in the Undine space battle zone particularly. My R9 270X with 4 GB of Vram was getting FPS drops as low as freaking 3 FPS while fighting the Undine ? WTF Really ? I have a quad core CPU at 3.8GHz with 8GBs of DDR3 at 1600MHz Cas 8, and I'm getting FPS hits like this ? That screams Extremely poorly optimized coding in the rendering engine plain and simple.
Commander
# 9
04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post
There is an issue with CPU/GPU utilization in S9, in the Undine space battle zone particularly. My R9 270X with 4 GB of Vram was getting FPS drops as low as freaking 3 FPS while fighting the Undine ? WTF Really ? I have a quad core CPU at 3.8GHz with 8GBs of DDR3 at 1600MHz Cas 8, and I'm getting FPS hits like this ? That screams Extremely poorly optimized coding in the rendering engine plain and simple.
And it's not only your rig, my decent one also suffers huge FPS drops at the Undine levels only, doubly so when they launch rifts.

Gtx 460 and Phenom 9500 2.2ghrz
Republic Veteran
# 10
04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureleus View Post
Extremely similar rig to yours and I am having horrid fps issues and hiccups as well.