Lt. Commander
# 1 Tired of STO Gold/Energy SPAM!
02-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Everyday I've played STO I've had 3-4 STO gold spam mails. I'm getting tired of deleting them. Is it about time cryptic goes after these websites?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Go after them and do what?

all mmo's have this problem it's not a simple situation to deal with. And it's not like they can sue either.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Go after them and do what?

all mmo's have this problem it's not a simple situation to deal with. And it's not like they can sue either.
Most have solved this problem. EQ2 and LOTR there was a time I got gold spammers in game but NEVER in my email. Both have eliminated them (at least it's been years since I got them in either game).

I don't use my email here so I'll just let my email box fill up until they get off their cheap/lazy behinds and take care of the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Try "/whitelist_email 1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
The whitelist* commands generally restrict the action in question to your friends list (might allow from guild too, I forget). So whitelist_email only allows friends to send you IGMs.
It's a short term fix, and has to be activated in-game, but should prevent your Inbox from clogging up with spam - at least, until Cryptic have had time to develop a better solution.

The main downside I can see is that anyone who isn't on your friends list and needs to contact you will have to wait until you're ingame and send you a /tell.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can also "Report Spam" from your Inbox, but again, you need to be ingame to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 06:24 AM
I figured it must be patented because it hasn't been mentioned yet, but you could implement a cost to sending messages to people outside of your mutual friend/fleet list, or something like. By default it can cost 1energy or so, but it seems it would cut into spammers profit margin significantly, while impacting normal users almost 0. I have seen this implemented only once before (I don't really play many MMO) and it worked pretty durn well there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 06:29 AM
It'd be nice if Cryptic could add a "report spam" button to the mailbox on the website. So that you don't have to separately go through every spam mail and report them one at a time.

Just tick them all and report them all in one fel swoop. That would be mighty convenient.

Other than that, I'm quite satisfied with the "report spam" functionality in the game, I just hope that there is no limit to the ignore list. Which was quite the pain when I played WoW, within weeks the ignore list would be filled up with spammers leaving players with no practical means to block the spam.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hine62 View Post
Everyday I've played STO I've had 3-4 STO gold spam mails. I'm getting tired of deleting them. Is it about time cryptic goes after these websites?

Does anyone else have this problem?
We all got that problem, but the issue is that these people operate from China and Korea mainly, and it is not easy to go after them there. And to remove the issue with account screening, in game screening etc, would restrict the game so much i think it would make it a lot worse to play.

Its a age old problem that all MMO's have, and i think the person that comes up with a system that can remove them without impacting the player would become a really rich person.

I hope there is something they can do, but short of removing the exchange, never allow mail with items or energy credits, no trading between players and no chat, there is little else that can be done.

I am not knocking you here, just trying to answer the question.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 05:09 AM
easiest way would be to add a "report goldspam" button in the mail system
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 05:16 AM
We all have spam filter in our email accounts...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 05:18 AM
I'm tired of threads about it tbh.

Just alias /ignore_spammer and get on with pew!pew!lazorz