Lt. Commander
# 1 New PC advice
02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Well it seems STO has fried my PC, everything went dark last night, so now im looking to get a new PC, but im a bit lost as to what is the best tech available.

Basically i need to know which processors and video cards are the best to go for, my old PC was an Intel Quad core with a 8800GTS gfx card, so im looking to upgrade from that, but not by too much...money isnt exactly flowing freely right now...

so any advice would be welcome
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
wow that slipped fast...bit of bumpage needed i think
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugster View Post
wow that slipped fast...bit of bumpage needed i think
First step: Determine the problem. I once had a PC seem to die. The graphics card went, but the main board was fine.

Second step: Realize that this isn't forum you're looking for. Ten Forward is a bit odd, to say the least. If you need a quick response a generalist gaming forum dedicated to hardware is probably the place you want to be.

Not saying you shouldn't post here. Just saying the turn around time is utterly random.

Third step: Look at the Recommended requirements and double that.

Fourth step: Look at the amount of money you have to buy new components/systems and multiply by .75. That's what you can afford.

Fifth step: Find hardware that fits both the third and fourth steps. Repost this question with specific mention of the hardware you've found.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
go for a i5 or i7 at less 4 gb ram . the ati 5750 or ati 5770 there good priced cards
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Your 8800 GT is fine. Upgrading won't net you much of a return if you're looking for a mild upgrade. The big gains would be (Nvidia-wise) a 260 gtx or higher. A 4800 series ATi card would produce similar results. Find out why your computer took a dump before you decide to upgrade parts. Save yourself some money. Unless you're running a Core Duo, your dual core should be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
well tbh, im thinking of a brand new PC rather than repairing/upgrading...its been 2 years since i bought it so a total upgrade is justifiable, and really a heck of a lot easier that trying revive my current PC
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
well tbh, im thinking of a brand new PC rather than repairing/upgrading...its been 2 years since i bought it so a total upgrade is justifiable, and really a heck of a lot easier that trying revive my current PC
If you got money, then sure.

i7 w/275 gtx or better imo.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Well it seems STO has fried my PC, everything went dark last night, so now im looking to get a new PC, but im a bit lost as to what is the best tech available.

Basically i need to know which processors and video cards are the best to go for, my old PC was an Intel Quad core with a 8800GTS gfx card, so im looking to upgrade from that, but not by too much...money isnt exactly flowing freely right now...

so any advice would be welcome

PM Sent

Love your avatar btw!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdan View Post
PM Sent

Love your avatar btw!
err my PMs dont seem to work, I can see them but cant actually open them, not sure if its the site or my laptop.

Oh and thanks, yours is sweet as well
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Take a look at the Gateway FX series of PC. Make sure to get the I7 or I5 processor and at least 4G of RAM. I did not feel like building my own this time around as I always spend more than I expected.

I picked up an FX system for about 945.00 of course this was prior to the I7 release so I am running a quad core. Besides lame cooling fans the thing has been running pretty darn good for a canned box.