Lt. Commander
# 1 MMO rules to remember
02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Inspired by another post in the STO forums.

A lot of people seem to look at MMOs as if they were a typical game similar to "fallout3" or the like, they then get disappointed when it isn't the same so i figured, "why not make some 'rules to live by' for a better MMO experience." these are meant as a guide upon the MMO gaming path, and should effect MMOs in general, not just STO, but should not be taken as set in stone, just seriously considered. :p

1. (a very important one) Brand new MMOs never have end game content. If the game is a week old, you should not be maxed level, and if you are then do not complain there is nothing to do.

2. (the most important) THIS IS A GAME!!!!! if you are not having fun, if it feels like work rather then play, or if you would rather GO to work then play, you need to step away from the computer and do something else. Likewise, people are here to have fun, do not think that because they do something different from you that it is the wrong way of doing it. "to each their own" as the saying goes.

3. There is and always shall be a "barrens chat" (zone or global chat) it will go by different names, it can be more subtle in its implementation, but it is always going to be there (unfortunately)

4. No matter the ESRB rating, an MMO is a "game" and thus will have children playing. Expect immaturity in chat (not the person though it probably applies anyway :p) and action.

5. Chat, and the interweb in general, will bring out the worst in people. Even a thirty year old father of 2 can become a whiney 12 year old when the anonymity of the internet takes hold. (ie see number 3, hmmm if only we could harness this "de-aging" power to use in the real world ...)

6. This is an extension of #2 really. Some people will play this game in ways that are clear efforts to ruin the game for another (griefers). Do not take these people seriously and do not let them ruin your fun. There are methods to prevent or stop these people. Namely ignore lists and GM griefing reports.

7. The GMs are actually very busy people. Unfortunately this means it takes them time to handle every situation that gets assigned to them. If you have to petition a GM, be patient, they aren't ignoring you and will get to you when they are able, but it could take time. Likewise, do not expect every problem to be fixed immediately, sometimes you may encounter a truely unique problem that the GM's can not fix right away, they may have to consult with "higher ups" for approval (GMs do have rules to follow) or it may be something severe enough that they have to get an actual "code monkey" to look into the issue.

8. The game servers handle connections from thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people at a time. This is a great strain and will lead to things such as crashes and queues, they are a fact of life. Be patient, things will work out, get fixed, etc. Think of it this way, you can push your car, but can you push two of your cars? Even if you can would you be able to nonstop for days on end? Everything and everyone has to "rest" once in a while.

9. Lag is a fact of life on the web. It is not always "your fault" or "the server's fault" more often it is something somewhere in between, or a complex combination of things. Be calm, make sure it is not your end, submit a support ticket so they can be sure it is not "their end" and then see what you can do to change the variables in between (proxy servers etc). Most importantly do not yell on the forums and rage about on how it is "the server's fault" it won't accomplish anything. Posting calmly though, might earn you decent suggestions that might help fix the problem.

10. DO NOT threaten to quit in order to get your way (ie no nerdrage). It will not change anything, makes you look like an idiot (especially if you don't actually quit) and just annoys everyone else.

11. (mostly just a STO rule but can be applied elsewhere) Always ask yourself, "What Would Kirk Do?"

12. Take time to explore, the grphic artists go to a lot of trouble making a rendered world that is "full" and detailed, they will often hide things in out of the way places, just waiting for players to find them and say 'amazing!' There is more content to the game then just missions and pvp.

13. MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER. Take the time to get to know those "multiple players," you might find more in common than that you are both playing the same game. That new friend you just made could be someone truely special (sorry if that seems sappy). If you didn't join the game to socialize at least some of the time, then why aren't you just playing a single player game?

14. Even more sad and persistant then "Barren's chat" are gold farmers/spammers. Report them, do your best to ignore them, and remember Rule number 2. If you feel the need to spend "real life" money for in game money (beyond what is spent to play the game in the first place), then you are taking things WAY too seriously, and probably need to step back and gain perspective. Likewise, remember the alligator "conundrum." Yes it is cool to feed them, but when you do they will come back over and over again. Feed the gold sellers and they will spam more often in the hopes of another "meal."

if there is anything i missed of course feel free to add. >.>
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
You forgot the rule about no spamming.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Rules to live by in your online world(s)

Excellent job!

It addresses alot of the issues people seem to harp on pointlessly about.....

The only addendum I'd add are these

To number 1 (and sort of 2) is to suggest something to the players;

SLOW DOWN and enjoy things!
Stop and stare at the scenery, take things at a leisurely pace.
Don't run out and do all your missions at once as fast as you possibly can.
Do two here, or three there, then stop and socialize or do PVP/PvE for a while.

I won't even have made captain by the next 45 day content patch, so at my current pace I will not run out of content theoretically.

Second;

Don't let the haters/whiners/goldspammers etc discourage you from trying to be social.
Its an MMO(RPG) and if you try to branch out chances are you'll meet someone cool in-game and you can start adding to your friends list instead of your ignore list.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
True. But I think the spammers are starting to ruin MMOs for me. And maybe other people too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMax
You forgot the rule about no spamming.
Not really i didn't think that went into the context of the rules i listed. IMO also it is somewhat implied in the "no nerdrage" rules i listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Rules to live by in your online world(s)

Excellent job!

It addresses alot of the issues people seem to harp on pointlessly about.....

The only addendum I'd add are these

To number 1 (and sort of 2) is to suggest something to the players;

SLOW DOWN and enjoy things!
Stop and stare at the scenery, take things at a leisurely pace.
Don't run out and do all your missions at once as fast as you possibly can.
Do two here, or three there, then stop and socialize or do PVP/PvE for a while.

I won't even have made captain by the next 45 day content patch, so at my current pace I will not run out of content theoretically.

Second;

Don't let the haters/whiners/goldspammers etc discourage you from trying to be social.
Its an MMO(RPG) and if you try to branch out chances are you'll meet someone cool in-game and you can start adding to your friends list instead of your ignore list.
For the first part perhaps a bit of interpretation that keeps the spirit of your suggestion?
"Explore, the grphic artists go to a lot of trouble making a rendered world that is "full" and detailed, they will often hide things in out of the way places, just waiting for players to find them and say 'amazing!' There is more content to the game then just missions and pvp." (a good example was in lineage2, they had marvelous little out of the way places where you could wander to and just sit there and marvel)

Also perhaps "MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER. Take the time to get to know those multiple players, you might find more in common then that you are both playing the same game. If you didn't join the game to socialize at least some of the time, then why aren't you just playing a single player game?"

(editing my first post to add these :p good catch)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
12. Don't Panic!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I am already panicing over the large amount of spam.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMax
Sorry, I am already panicing over the large amount of spam.
yeah sadly the gold spammers have been a part of MMOs since as far back as i can recall, whoever invented the idea needs to be shot repeatedly then set on fire. I will say though, STO is the first MMO i have been in where i got spammed for gold via the forum PM system. Cryptic really should make temporary forum accounts not able to send PMs. It wouldn't help in game but would stop the forum spam at least.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl1919 View Post
12. Don't Panic!
This applies in any situation. Especially if you have your towel handy.

As for rule #3: It's called Zone Chat in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTechJ View Post
As for rule #3: It's called Zone Chat in this game.
well yeah, but i was trying to keep the "rules" more generic then just STO, so they could be used for other MMOs as well. i used "barrens chat" rather then a general example because "barrens chat" is so well known as to need little explination as to what is meant.