Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground PvP needs an overhaul
02-10-2010, 02:53 AM
In a ground pvp match, once one side groups together, the match is pretty much over. The group roams the map and tears up players who spawn randomly away from their team mates. Players respawning get exposed / exploited and vaporized quickly, and offer little resistance. I've been on the winning side and the losing side. This free roaming pvp system usually ends when the losing team's players quit that match out of frustration. I have 2 solutions that could fix this,

(A) Team Elimination: Entire team spawns at once in one location, and respawns only when all team members are dead (or opposites team is completely wiped out).

(B) Basic Forts: Basically 2fort for lack of a better term. Each faction gets their own 'base' complete with defense turrets and team owned spawn points.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 04:10 AM
solution 3:

l2pvp. if you know your spawn spot is gonna be close to a hostile group, consider waiting about 5 secs to spawn. call out to whatever klingons are on the map and tell them to focus on getting regrouped. don't braveheart......you will die.

I agree i do think the spawn needs to be fixed but for now it is what it is and we have to deal with it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
This is what I actually feel needs to happen in ground pvp otherwise it could become stale and people simply wont bother:

1. Exposes to lose there "hold" effect, at the moment its far too easy to walk up to someone and spam melee until they get stuck in expose and kill them in one sniper shot, at least give the person a fighting chance to move out of the way.

2. Holds, drastically toned down or outright removed, we have weapon malfunctions, roots + snares, knockbacks and fragile CC holds, sitting duck holds have NO place in pvp and will just get abused over and over again making ground pvp stale up rather quickly.

3. Universal weapon special cooldown, you know something, I could not care less if you dont like it, but carrying 2 expose weapons and 2 sniper rifles, being able to macro them and cycle through the specials like ive seen some people do is just stupid, this is supposed to be a team game, not Rambo Online.

4. 30 second grace before the round starts, easy to implement and would get rid of the spawn camping that goes on at the beginning of a new map.

5. Melee spamming to lose its ability to trigger expose, meleeing is supposed to be for bypassing the personal shield or creating distance, not proccing expose, definatley needs fixing.

With those things done I'd be much happier with ground pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeer
1. Exposes to lose there "hold" effect, at the moment its far too easy to walk up to someone and spam melee until they get stuck in expose and kill them in one sniper shot, at least give the person a fighting chance to move out of the way..
You are NOT alone ... your scientist can "heal/cleanse" the expose effect ... so learn to play in a group or team with friends where everyone know their role ... and their skills

Edit:
Its like a WoW Arena match: A skilled team wipes away five random players .... its often not the balance of skills - its the "not balance" of players who play the game
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
The biggest wipeouts are when 1 or more of the players simply don't care about losing/dying and charge into the enemy team over and over (sometimes with no shield on).

Happens sometimes in space.

Happens FREQUENTLY on the ground.

If all 5 pug members actually get together and have decent ground training and equipment they can fare well against a premade. They just don't seem to care to do it. I love ground combat but it's honestly starting to get boring because Feds are so incredibly incompetent at it. It's a testament to how easy ground PvE must be that they can all be so terrible at ground PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Speaking of spawn camping, etc...

Something needs to be done about the PVP ground match start to get the incoming teams in sync:

Scenarios:

1) You zone into map by yourself, and sometimes have to wait many minutes for ANYONE else to show up.

2) You zone into map alone, but the opposite team as two (or more) players on map already, or come in together some minutes after you. So now you have a 2+ on 1 situation. That state can last from a few minutes to MANY minutes. Assuming you get help eventually, your team is starting in the hole bigtime. Yes, to can keep running away, but if the other team is smart, that really won't work very long. Only solution after a death is to not respawn.... but that IS smart but not a nice solution and promotes the imbablance cycle. Other team may leave, etc, etc.

3) Opposite of above. Except you are ganker instead of gankee.

4) Similar to above, other team gets in way early and goes to default zone-in location (well known, btw) and proceeds to gank all your incoming teammates (and you) piecemeal..

It makes no sense that a combat team would go into a dangerous situation piecemeal. Match SHOULD NOT START until you have a minimum number that have "accepted" the match "ready" on BOTH sides. Maybe players should see a transporter room where they hang out before beaming in together AS A TEAM. Add-ons could be beamed in directly of course and would have to take their chances.

Oh, and is there anything to do about better balancing the teams? Form up teams such that the sum of the team member levels are at least somewhat close. Unless the candidate pool is too small, then "Oh, well".

Nuff' said.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalante View Post
You are NOT alone ... your scientist can "heal/cleanse" the expose effect ... so learn to play in a group or team with friends where everyone know their role ... and their skills

Edit:
Its like a WoW Arena match: A skilled team wipes away five random players .... its often not the balance of skills - its the "not balance" of players who play the game
Pretty much. I'm a Fed that rolls with the Medic kit and as long as my team sticks together we rarely ever die. Last night we even went 40-0 during one match.

My heals outheal their damage and simultaneously cleanses their exploits. If your team doesn't have a good medic there's pretty much no way you'll beat another team that has one.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeer
This is what I actually feel needs to happen in ground pvp otherwise it could become stale and people simply wont bother:

1. Exposes to lose there "hold" effect, at the moment its far too easy to walk up to someone and spam melee until they get stuck in expose and kill them in one sniper shot, at least give the person a fighting chance to move out of the way.

2. Holds, drastically toned down or outright removed, we have weapon malfunctions, roots + snares, knockbacks and fragile CC holds, sitting duck holds have NO place in pvp and will just get abused over and over again making ground pvp stale up rather quickly.

3. Universal weapon special cooldown, you know something, I could not care less if you dont like it, but carrying 2 expose weapons and 2 sniper rifles, being able to macro them and cycle through the specials like ive seen some people do is just stupid, this is supposed to be a team game, not Rambo Online.

4. 30 second grace before the round starts, easy to implement and would get rid of the spawn camping that goes on at the beginning of a new map.

5. Melee spamming to lose its ability to trigger expose, meleeing is supposed to be for bypassing the personal shield or creating distance, not proccing expose, definatley needs fixing.

With those things done I'd be much happier with ground pvp.
QQ

In other words: "Devs, please remove everything which owns me so that I can be the pvp god that I deserve to be."
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Another idea is to put a short cooldown on your standard Melee Spam attack i.e. Rifle Butt.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox77
In other words: "Devs, please remove everything which owns me so that I can be the pvp god that I deserve to be."
For the record, I'm a PvP god who owns people with all of those things and I agree with changing them. Some changes are simply about making the game more fun. The proposed changes would actually make ground PvP into a more aggressive battle as it would be important to press in to complete a kill rather than just waiting for an expose.

Frankly there's just too much luck involved in ground PvP right now. There are ways to bend the luck in your favor, premade vs pug, but when two skilled teams go head to head, it's mostly down to luck.