Lt. Commander
That are my feelings about Fleet Actions and here is why:

Ground: you beam down there are dozends of uncoordinated Starfleet Officers doing nothing but walking. No defenseline to break through, no Squads (o.K sometimes you see groups of 3 of them but at least they are just walking or standing around without any sense) , no regmiments or something like that just unreliable placed NPCs. All you can do is shoot at them without any sense and looking after the items you need to finish the mission. After one hour or so you get some green or white item nobody needs because one bought better stuff for PvP. Even blue stuff IF IT DROPS is fully sense- and useless for most of the players.

Same with fleetactions: Remember the storyline: a Federation Fleet enters the Klingon space to conquer it (or something like that). But all you find when you go in is: uncoordinated vessels one left, two righ, two above and one under you for example. Last mission is to kill Dreadnoughts. How logical is that for an invading fleet? The Admiral let kill all the small ships and at the end the biggest of all warps in completely alone to be destroyed?

IN my opinion Fleetactions are just uncharitable designed grinding maps for no loot and no xp and a waste of time for most Klingons I spoke to. Result is as good as noone does play it.

Fleetactions are just a bad forged idea from WHO but in that game it made sense at least because of good items as reward, and a logical design with partly real demanding endbosses.

At least this mistakes makes just a musical interlude (is that the right term?) out of a good idea. I ask for Fleet Actions with a little bit of Star Trek feeling, with a bit o ideas and storyline and a understandable design
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
They are stuck in superhero-villian confortation dynamics Old Mario Brothers/Karate Champ "boss" models.

We want, sensible, tactical/strategic war thinking, reasonably modeled combat dynamics...from guys who havent honestly delved into the intellectual/academic or even elementary aspects of combat, war, etc.

I cant imagine any of these guys have ever put their body and physical well being on the line for anything or anyone(not in sports, not in a job/profession, not as a combatant)...so how can they relate from a warrior spirit mind-set or from a practical combat protocol/doctrine/procedures/techniques?

Thats not an insult to them...just a probable reality that explains their seperation, inability or unwillingness to produce anything resembling a war in game...oh yeah, and because they have to make it simple for noobs and the geeral "non-thinking" public.

Does Cryptic have one miliry advisor on call...one naval Officer, one Airforce Officer(because starship space combat applies to both). Is there one current or past high school athlete from a contact sport, one war historian, one guy who plays and does reasonably well at combat "sims"(not any typical FPS or BF1942 stuff)?

Nope, we are putting our hopes on guys who likly equate combat to the "Legend of Zelda" or "Final Fantasy Blah" or "WoW". War?...they likly dont even know where to start...and I doubt they are willing to come to us to aid them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Okay, the above poster is obviously crazy.

That being said, OP is right. Fleet actions need some fine tuning - but if you read around the forum you realize everything needs some work. From weapons, to PVP queues, to costuming, in virtually every aspect of this game we can find some glaring short coming. While I think its good to vocalize this, I also think it may be better to step back, chill out, and recognize that it will be a while before something like this is addressed. The Klingons have no PvE content - thats going to take a while to solve and its certainly going to be addressed befored this
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Just saying its hard to expect anyone to even attempt to build an in-depth model about something they know nothing about and cant relate to on even an elementray level.

The extent I went may seem excessive if all you want is a better version of the current PvE or queued PvP "play dates".

But when you are looking for a complex, in-depth PvP war campaign within an expansive open area(s) of sector space, then you begin to recognize the need for some combination of these various individual attributes to do the build justice.

But no, Im not crazy...just passionate...and of demanding taste.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Perhaps this will explain it slighly:

The ground klingon fleet action is a direct rip of the federation ice mining ground fleet action, only with feds instead of klingons and things that have been broken in the transition. You're MEANT to spawn on the platform above where klingons currently spawn, the turrets up there are meant to protect the spawn (they shoot both sides klingon side as far as I could see), the NPC up there is mean to be klingon. Well the model is but if you go up and interact with her you get the federation mission briefing.

Oh and the Starfleet artillery spotters ocassionally yell things like "Starfleet will never get these codes" and "Today is a good day to die!"

In short, the ground fleet action is very much botch jobbed in at the moment, though without it, we'd have absolutely no ground combat, not that we can get any gear from it as it can take AGES to finish and only have you getting a small hyprospray as a "reward"
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulgur
Perhaps this will explain it slighly:

The ground klingon fleet action is a direct rip of the federation ice mining ground fleet action, only with feds instead of klingons and things that have been broken in the transition. You're MEANT to spawn on the platform above where klingons currently spawn, the turrets up there are meant to protect the spawn (they shoot both sides klingon side as far as I could see), the NPC up there is mean to be klingon. Well the model is but if you go up and interact with her you get the federation mission briefing.

Oh and the Starfleet artillery spotters ocassionally yell things like "Starfleet will never get these codes" and "Today is a good day to die!"

In short, the ground fleet action is very much botch jobbed in at the moment, though without it, we'd have absolutely no ground combat, not that we can get any gear from it as it can take AGES to finish and only have you getting a small hyprospray as a "reward"
Sounds like a lack of passion and motivation to me. Thats the kind of quality job I do when the wife asks me to do chores.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
to develop decent pve for fed or kligon wont happen any time soon(if ever) partilay for the reasosn coco stated they are not ina true war mindset they are ina lets make a co/coh style space game mindset

but there npc ai is horrible and takes no skill to beat at all (which is why most feds suck at pvp) and why a singel player maranda can kill a negvar or player brel a typhoon or what anoys me the most a singel t5 player can kill hordes of cubes(ships that kill whole fleets in shows/movies) so to deal with the fact that there ai and npc combat model is horible the way they increase the difficulty is instead of making a challenging a opponent they throw more and more crapy ones at you ie the mine field fa which all but the dreadnught can be soloable and the dreadnought only takes 2

and since fas take much longer than a pvp match give you less exp and pointless rewards
i mean at lvl 44 i did the mine feild with fleet mates for 25 min of work( we could have do 2-3 pvp matches) my "reward" for completing it was a mark 2 blue sci console

but sadly they will probably fix that before we would get any form of meaningful pvp
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2010, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian-Thorn View Post
Okay, the above poster is obviously crazy.

That being said, OP is right. Fleet actions need some fine tuning - but if you read around the forum you realize everything needs some work. From weapons, to PVP queues, to costuming, in virtually every aspect of this game we can find some glaring short coming. While I think its good to vocalize this, I also think it may be better to step back, chill out, and recognize that it will be a while before something like this is addressed. The Klingons have no PvE content - thats going to take a while to solve and its certainly going to be addressed befored this
but that' s exactly my point. Fleet Actions ARE part of the PvE conent and and should be played. After all we get more of it "sold" as PvE content with the "great Klingon patch". It needs as you say a lot of tuning. What do I have from PvE content if it is worthless and boring and have less reward and no fun after all? Noone will play it and so you' ll stay playing Cracked Planetoid. Thinking of that and the future of this game I find it important to mention out everything what needs a redesign but not only the PvP or balancing Fleet Actions could be a very nice part of the game designed for FLEETS but not random groups at first and then as mentioned above much better AI and tougher bosses and more organization within the scenarios don' t care wether ground or space. It' s disappointing to see Cryptic acting without any love for the detail or Star Trek.