Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Pve is redundant...

Mentality was mixxed between mature Trekkie fans and complete noobs. Can't say it's worse on fed side (though it is only because that's where the bulk of the server population is). Pvp queues have anywhere from 30 to 130 people waiting to pvp, barely anybody on Klingon side. Which is crazy because the PVE in game is pretty worthless. Anyways, has anybody else seen this to be the bigger problem vs. Viral matrix etc...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
You had to mention VM didn't you.. You coudn't have kept this thread clean
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojokujo
Pve is redundant...

Mentality was mixxed between mature Trekkie fans and complete noobs. Can't say it's worse on fed side (though it is only because that's where the bulk of the server population is). Pvp queues have anywhere from 30 to 130 people waiting to pvp, barely anybody on Klingon side. Which is crazy because the PVE in game is pretty worthless. Anyways, has anybody else seen this to be the bigger problem vs. Viral matrix etc...
I primarily play a klingon - it's boring. PvP is lame atm. Only a few small maps to do over and over. Supposedly the feds and klings are at war but you wouldn't know it - no sector control, no battles over controllable planets, starbases, etc. Pointless. As for VM and all the spammable cc in space and ground combat.../punches a kitten
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
The pve improves somewhat as you progress. It was actually vastly superior in beta when it was actually challenging, but that's the cryptic nerf hammer for ya. Still, there are a handful of great missions/episodes, "City on the edge of Never" and "Suspect" come to mind, and the Romulan missions/episodes on the whole aren't too shabby (most of them anyway).

Hopefully with the end game content pve updates and raidisodes, cryptic improves things. Also, a difficulty slider would be sooooooooooooooo nice. My first impression of space combat in Beta were so good, it was actually challenging and there were, occasionally, really tough fights, like the Gorn Hostage Battleship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 01:08 AM
As far as VM goes I could care less about the changes they do or do not make. I personally see issues that would drop player population far greater then VM ever could. He'll, only counter I bring for that in pvp is raising my aux so it dispells faster. Some of the pve is cool, some... Mostly the space battles not the story. I agree that we need more maps that are well thought out, both ground and space. I agree space maps are to small on capture and hold.... But pvp is the true bread and butter of this game - and if people want to pvp they need to go to Klingon side or federation is gonna jump all over FvF and the game will go the way of the DoDo. I'm not crying over this or anything, I just want a kick ass mmo, and this game is so close yet so far away. Nothing is OP except for the good pvp'ers. Sure there are grief skills, there always will be... But the true complaints for the long haul lie in the overall gameplay mechanics and user interface. I would even go as far to say that the game would be better if the Klingon ships were twinked or fed ships nerfed.... Maybe then more people would dedicate to the Klingon faction and allow for more pvp options on fed side.

Anybody else agree?

Biggest problem I see is 100:1 fed vs Klingon ratio, and the Feds fight brainless in pvp while the Klingons work their BoP's off to get their wins. That's fail from start to finish. And quick action is needed otherwise POOF half the players quit due to lacking infastructure, future game advancement placed on hold due to lack of funding, POOF almost great game now = lame duck. We have all seen it with 95% of the mmo's.

And: I totally agree that PVE is super easy mode, needs to be about 25% harder at least.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
As far as VM goes I could care less about the changes they do or do not make. I personally see issues that would drop player population far greater then VM ever could. He'll, only counter I bring for that in pvp is raising my aux so it dispells faster. Some of the pve is cool, some... Mostly the space battles not the story. I agree that we need more maps that are well thought out, both ground and space. I agree space maps are to small on capture and hold.... But pvp is the true bread and butter of this game - and if people want to pvp they need to go to Klingon side or federation is gonna jump all over FvF and the game will go the way of the DoDo. I'm not crying over this or anything, I just want a kick ass mmo, and this game is so close yet so far away. Nothing is OP except for the good pvp'ers. Sure there are grief skills, there always will be... But the true complaints for the long haul lie in the overall gameplay mechanics and user interface. I would even go as far to say that the game would be better if the Klingon ships were twinked or fed ships nerfed.... Maybe then more people would dedicate to the Klingon faction and allow for more pvp options on fed side.

Anybody else agree?

Biggest problem I see is 100:1 fed vs Klingon ratio, and the Feds fight brainless in pvp while the Klingons work their BoP's off to get their wins. That's fail from start to finish. And quick action is needed otherwise POOF half the players quit due to lacking infastructure, future game advancement placed on hold due to lack of funding, POOF almost great game now = lame duck. We have all seen it with 95% of the mmo's.
missions pick up once you actually get a class of ship other than "rustbucket of doom"
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Since OB I have taken two Klingons to t4 and one fed to T3 - I agree that some missions are killer. But can you really Imagine yourself repeating that content more then once? At least games like EQ2 and WoW were able to pull it off. That sets the bar high for new games like this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Pve is redundant...

I only PvE as my fed (his not really set up for PvP and would just embarase me and the Surian race as a whole) as a Klingon I have done my share f ground PvP. However I wont stay in a map where its 5 vs 2 getting ganked over and over again is no fun. I can only do the same mission so many times before I am completly bored of it. Deserted facility is probably my favourite as its a fraction larger than then others and feels like an old facility.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Pve is redundant...

I don't know, the pve isn't terrible. Some of the missions are obnoxiously bad and some are ok. I even enjoyed a few of them.

Some of the writing will outright offend a star trek fan. Some of the writers appear to not really be familiar with the series enough to make fiction that is consistently befitting the franchise.

Not knowing that undine can't teleport, or be easily detected by their biogenic field is one thing - but having one of the first missions be a federation firing unprovoked on a klingon vessel trying to warn the ship that they are dealing with an infiltrator is just terribad.

Like b-movie bad.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
- but having one of the first missions be a federation firing unprovoked on a klingon vessel trying to warn the ship that they are dealing with an infiltrator is just terribad.

Like b-movie bad.
Yeah, this is definitely true, which is surprising given that some missions are at a very respectable level of quality. One wonders why they would let such drivel into the game in the first place.

Also the whole plot arc with the klingons felt bad. Klingons detect Undine infiltration in gorn hegemony, move to counter it (and rightly so). Feds condemn the Klingons who were only acting on behalf of the safetey of the alpha quadrant. Klingons annex archanis leading to war. I mean WTF, not only is that lifted and butchered from DS9, it doesn't make sense.

At least the Romulan plot arch sorta made sense.