Lt. Commander
# 1 Sorting Exchange
02-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Oh what i wouldnt give to be able to sort exchange items by price. Would probably kill off all the people trying to sell rubbish for 100x what its worth also.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 06:14 AM
i agree.... it stinks having to sort and look at people selling items for 40-50k when the item buys from a vendor for 2-3k....
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 06:45 AM
From what I hear they are planing on an update to the exchange UI soon and that is one of the top priorities.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Well, Champions Online has been out for several months and it's Auction House has exactly the same problem. Why it'd become a priority now and not when CO players were calling for it, I don't know. But yeah, it was one of the first bug reports I submitted in open beta.

Still. Until such time as it *does* become sortable - it's handy, free, extra bank space. Too many batteries, or anomalies, or whatever? No free bank space? Just chuck it on the Exchange for megabucks. Worst case, it sells for a million...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Sorting a data table is very difficult for a programmer. I remember learning it in Basic in 1985. It took at least 15mins to code it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_ie View Post
Well, Champions Online has been out for several months and it's Auction House has exactly the same problem. Why it'd become a priority now and not when CO players were calling for it, I don't know. But yeah, it was one of the first bug reports I submitted in open beta.
Agreed totally.

Here's what I think the problem is though:

In order for a sort by price to truly work, it needs to load up ALL of said item into memory first, just so it can sort the price. If it only sorts that page of 100 items, it's a better function, but still far from perfect.

Here's the issue. Let's say you wanted to find the cheapest Tribble. There are now how many of them in the Exchange? That's gonna take a lot of server power, and a lot of bandwith, just to show you the cheapest Tribble (1 credit).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 08:24 AM
So, yesterday I searched for "torpedo" in the Exchange. It gave me a list of all items with that word, ranging from 15K to 180K or so. What's the big issue to sort them after price? I can't see one. There are enough options to sort more specific (rank, quality). If you randomly search "tribble" without other options considered - it will take longer to load, yes, but is that a problem if you get what you're looking for then? I rather wait a bit and not have to scroll through 699 pages of overpriced commons. A search option "price range" would already help a lot, like "show only phaser turrets from 5K to 25K".