Lt. Commander
Hopefully some good will come out of this fiasco. The sloppy, shoddy, laughable performance of Craptricks...Sorry couldnt resist. In all seriousness, I hope that Bioware, when they release TOR will take note of the problems Cryptic have encountered and prepare for a surge of players. I say all this because clearly unless Cryptic get their act together this game is doomed and I shall be playing TOR. In fact, if TOR was available today I would have cancelled my subscription to STO. I played Warhammer for the first few months and found no server issues, which was astonishingly good. I was thinking Cryptic with thier experience would do a good job. So Bioware make a good first impression. I have no hope for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I am sure they will have thier own set of issues and thier forums will be swimming in nerdrage as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Bioware already took the most important tip, don't try to build an MMO from the ground up in less than 2 years.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seljek View Post
Bioware already took the most important tip, don't try to build an MMO from the ground up in less than 2 years.
Well, Bioware has a track record of producing it's own products and taking their time to develop each one. They don't have a monster like Atari standing behind them with a due date they absolutely must hit and a shovel ready to bury them if they don't.

I'm sure it will have it's bugs too. No game release goes as smooth as an MMO developer would like.But it will be ready when it's time comes, unlike STO which had to be rushed to the market.

Even so, STO is still a great game and has had far fewer issues than many MMO releases over the past couple of years. Even when TOR comes out, I'll likely continue to play STO. So far all TOR has shown me is that they can create a single player voiced RPG in a MMO environment similar to nearly every other MMO enviornment on the market but with a sci-fi skin. Sith fighting their way through a dungeon beneath their home city? Really?

Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Sith fighting their way through a dungeon beneath their home city? Really?

I have to agree, this is a big concern for SWTOR.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 02:27 PM
As someone who ran a very popular NWN persistent world, Bioware was not very helpful to us. NWN could barely handle 10 players at a time. Their track record with multiplayer, in other words, is spotty at best.

It's real easy when your game isn't in production yet. Not so much once it goes live.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Well, Bioware has a track record of producing it's own products and taking their time to develop each one. They don't have a monster like Atari standing behind them with a due date they absolutely must hit and a shovel ready to bury them if they don't.

I'm sure it will have it's bugs too. No game release goes as smooth as an MMO developer would like.But it will be ready when it's time comes, unlike STO which had to be rushed to the market.

Even so, STO is still a great game and has had far fewer issues than many MMO releases over the past couple of years. Even when TOR comes out, I'll likely continue to play STO. So far all TOR has shown me is that they can create a single player voiced RPG in a MMO environment similar to nearly every other MMO enviornment on the market but with a sci-fi skin. Sith fighting their way through a dungeon beneath their home city? Really?

QFT! Can't agree more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:

I know it wasn't totally Cryptic's fault, but this is what is going to happen if a gaming company tries to pull this kind of stunt regardless of who made them do it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Worst part is they didn't start from the "ground up" as they Already had the engine.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
And, since you're implying it, neither did Cryptic.