Lt. Commander
Seeing as you can get rare BO's from mission's as you advance, should I dismiss the ones I have had with me since the beginning (and lose all those BO points) or keep them and "Train up" with free skills I might want to replace on them? Just hate to see all those BO points lost and having to train up a new BO just because its "rare". Any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 11:34 PM
same question here - are the blue bos really that much of a buff?
Has anyone any experience with this situation?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 12:41 AM
i have not bothered replacing the white ones from the start and have not had any probs all the way to 45, the skills mostly only seem to effect the ground and the bonuses are minimal.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Weeeeell....

You don't really lose out on too much when replacing BO's, since unlike player skill points, BO skill points are unlimited in supply. Unless you (naturally) play Klingon-side as the Honor system is stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Ok good! I didn't like the idea of losing all those points that they just got for a small incentive. Though it would be interesting if your BO's have a chance they could be killed and you would have to replace them or if they seen another command and wanted to "move on" to their own ship, sorta thing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davfor
Ok good! I didn't like the idea of losing all those points that they just got for a small incentive. Though it would be interesting if your BO's have a chance they could be killed and you would have to replace them or if they seen another command and wanted to "move on" to their own ship, sorta thing.

Just avoid giving them red uniforms and you don't have to worry about that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
By the time you reach late Command / Captin level, you'll have enough Merits to replce and retrain all of of your BOs...twice over. It's not something you should really worry at higher levels.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Which is when I start to wonder if the way BOs are bought, sold, and traded like slaves is a poor implementation.

NPCs are people too if you think about game realism. I mean who runs places while we're off doing stuff? Not everybody is a ship captain like us.

You get used to seeing a BO face/name, so naturally you get attached.

Then again, <insert a "you play STO too much if">......
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Seeing as you can get rare BO's from mission's as you advance, should I dismiss the ones I have had with me since the beginning (and lose all those BO points) or keep them and "Train up" with free skills I might want to replace on them? Just hate to see all those BO points lost and having to train up a new BO just because its "rare". Any thoughts?
The only inherent bonus rare BOs have over your stock BOs are their racial traits. Rare BOs typically have better versions of the stock racial traits, but it's generally not worth swapping out an entire officer for.

Rare BOs also sometimes you have skills you can't get anyway else (I saw Reverse Shield Polarity III as an example in another topic). If you see one you want then just have them train a current officer, but if there are several then I would consider a change.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Jeeze, all this talk about BO...just go take a dang shower then go for a long run, you will replace your BO fine.