Lt. Commander
All my current BOs are ones I got relatively early on. I've carefully used others I've bought or earned along the way to train my current ones up as I saw fit. One of my tacticals is actually STILL the original Andorian girl from the Tutorial, and I'm Commander 2 now. All my BOs are Lt. Commanders; I've had the entire crew basically since I was Lt 5ish. I'm basically happy with their current skills but always check every new acquisition or troll Exchange looking for good skills I may want. I've got a backlog of 2-3 officers at any time on Assignments where I'm waiting to do something with them.

So my question -- are the Blues or Purples any better than my crew that I've leveled up the long way? Are they still just Whites/Commons that become uber? Or are they somehow still substandard?

I mean literally--all of these guys just about are 9/9 for their Tier 1/2 abilities so far.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 03:04 PM
From what I understand the rare BO's will have a unique ability, that you wouldn't normally get in rewards or the power store, that cannot be "up trained" to any other BO. IF this is true, this is incredibly stupid. Please correct me if otherwise.

Other than that, Iíve done the exact same thing youíve done, I kept half my crew from level 1. I still have my Liberated Borg who is my chief engineer now. Iíd like to just hang on to her and well, the rest of them since I have all these points into them.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
This is good news, according to that thread we can train up everything in skills. We just can't transfer traits and I'm cool with that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
This is good news, according to that thread we can train up everything in skills. We just can't transfer traits and I'm cool with that.
Yeah, so it appears that my theory was correct-- you can keep your same BO squad indefinitely, and keep training/cross training/retraining to get exactly the BO you want with luck and drops.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Yeah, so it appears that my theory was correct-- you can keep your same BO squad indefinitely, and keep training/cross training/retraining to get exactly the BO you want with luck and drops.
With the restrictions regarding unlocked/unlockable BO skills, yes.

The elements unique to rare/very rare BOs that cannot be transfered to an existing bridge crew are the special traits. For example rare BOs can have the ground attribute "superior creativity" whereas common BOs can only have normal "creativity", with the former being slightly better.
So there is a benefit to recruiting rare/very rare BOs over common/bought ones, but only a tiny one.