Lt. Commander
Hi,

I am Commander actually. I trained the "Shield Efficiency" skill up the whole 9 points. As the description of the skill - in english - I understood that you will be able to train "Emergency to Shield III" to your Brdige Officers.

But in my list of the skills that I can train I do not have this skill right now.

After the last updates my description is in german right now and there is no information about the skill "Emergency to Shield III" anymore.

Is this a bug or changed the skill box right now? Does anyone got the same problem?

Greetings
Chaise
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 05:49 AM
As far as I know you can only train it if you are an engineer. Whats you character class?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Hm ... maybe that is the problem. I am a tactical officer. Thanks for the info.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I have the exact same issue being an Engineer and training Science skills. The problem is that there isn't any indication anywhere that tells you that these BO skills are class specific. The skill description text is extremely misleading.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Yes unfortunately, and I don't understand why this things have not been fixed in beta. I mean its not a complicated bug, its just a text. And they have already applyed 4-5? live patches without fixing the skill descriptions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2010, 03:26 AM
The problem is this restriction, along with the inability to trade already comissioned BOs to other players (thus completely preventing access to unlocked rank III abilities outside of one's own class), is intentional and not a bug.

There has been an extensive discussion about this issue in this topic,
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=107698
including other possible/impossible ways to attain desired BO abilities.

Somewhere down the line in that thread somebody mentions an early mission dialogue.
Shortly after completing the tutorial and arriving on starbase 1 you are sent to (LT ?)Cmdr. Bolt, on the starbase, who talks to you about skills and BOs etc. Apparently that dialogue includes a notion that as a player you will only be able to teach your BOs abilities that correspond to your own class.
This info could be considered somewhat hidden. Despite normally reading all mission dialogues I originally missed this part as well (think I did skip this dialogue, thinking it was only about BO basics that I already knew).

So far there has been no official statement on this issue and considering what we do know the currently implemented restrictions are unlikely to change.