To be clear: What do you mean by "everybody" ? I still get queued in prime-time (west coast) and there are still multiple instances? If there has been a significant drop off in players it doesn't seem to be affecting my lag. = (
But if you are looking for reasons why someone would leave that you yourself haven't experienced then i could list a few motivations like:
- they are already highest lvl and thats all they were looking forward to and wanted really. Some people believe that MMOs "start at the level cap". Since there isn't any end-game yet, no reason to stay.
- they are frustrated with lag, which can be annoying and terrible on decent machines and probably worst on lower spec ones. Its hard to like a game you can't play.
- they have no idea what they are doing because Cryptic is being, well "cryptic". They want to "wait a month" until they get better tool-tips, a better view of the state of the game in the future, or a more stable idea that they can either get behind or leave behind.
- they don't like the monotony of the space battles ("broken space bars")
- they expected (SWG or WoW or EVE or .etc) play-style and were dedicating themselves to that. SInce it doesn't necessarily adhere to the specific ruleset they are accustomed to, they feel its a waste of time since its doesn't follow their favorite game to the letter.
*disclaimer: the use of "they" is meant to refer to some etheral mass of people defined as neither a large or small portion of the population I have witnessed and wish to identify under a specific set of motives. Those motives derive from my views and opinions molded in zone chat in sector space lt.com to captian and the forums.
Again, i should mention that if you are really seeking an answer as to why "everyone else" is leaving then more than likely you don't have a reason to leave yourself or haven't committed to one. If thats so, then you are probably having some bit of fun, and should rely on your own experiences. You can always take valid complaints into consideration when deciding on staying with STO but i wouldn't let others decide how you should define your "fun."
Everyone comes into a game, any game, be it a MMO, RPG, table top, etc, with a pre-conceived notion of how it will be. We all do it. For some, the idea and vision that they saw just didn't match what they got. So some quietly left, while others screamed, ranted, raved and emo-rage quit with vocal posts.
Regardless of thier method of leaving its pretty much for the same reason. Game didn't live up to thier expectations.
Sad thing it seems is many see each new MMO that comes down the pipe as a "WoW-killer", hyping away at it, inflating its game play and such till what they are hoping to seem isn't ever what they are going to get, and thus they get all ****y and moany. Many seem to expect that the brand new MMO will be the equivilant of a MMO that has been in production and running for several years, while sadly that isn't the case, ever. I remember WoW when it came out, not pretty. I remember EVE when it came out, also not pretty. Yet Blizzard turned thiers into one of the most successful MMOs outthere. CCP, while no Blizzard, manages to hold its own as well.
Those that leave will shift and look for a new MMO to hype as the WoW-Killer. Maybe APB or SW:OR or SG: Worlds. Who knows. Most will probably never find what they are looking for and slowly navigate back to WoW.
Just for the record, I play STO, EVE and WoW. I enjoy all three. I will probably try APB (cause a the concept of a GTA/Saint's Row MMO sounds like fun) and will also give SW:OR a whirl cause I am a star wars fan. I play em if they are fun. No other reason.
Everyone comes into a game, any game, be it a MMO, RPG, table top, etc, with a pre-conceived notion of how it will be. We all do it. For some, the idea and vision that they saw just didn't match what they got.
This is true for me and STO. Before I got into Beta, I was hoping it would be nothing like CO (since I couldn't even make it past Beta with that mess). To my surprise, it far surpassed even what I had already set it up to be.
Why is everyone leaving the game and what about this game makes it so boring and unimaginative?
Only a select few are leaving. The people that did not like it. There is not a game that 100% of people like that is on the market and there probably never will be. The ones that are extremely rude and post things here in the forums are a small amount of the population.