Lt. Commander
I just cancelled my subscription and would just like to put my thoughts here, whether dev / players read em or not, I just need some closure.

I've played several star trek games in my day, but I didn't think that in 2010 I would be playing a revamped version of Starfleet Command 1 & 3 The 2D / pitch limit is just unforgivable...making missions where I have to fly up to get to the next enemy..maybe you should have made an ability called ..Silly Corkscrew Flight Pattern Alpha or something...

I was hoping for Bridge Commander / Klingon Academy on roids. BC (with all the mods, KM in particular) should have been used as a "model" for Star Trek Online. I should be able to explore a System, where there are several planets, not just 1. Full Impulse speed is way faster "feeling" than warp speed. Regular impulse and warp speed are about the same, just with different labels on different maps. The Bridge? This is just about as half ass as you can get...take some clues from Bridge Commander or better yet, hire the modders who made those.

I was hoping for melted / burnt hulls from phaser strikes, torn off nacelles from torpedo volleys...ya know WRATH OF KHAN kind of damage.....I wanted to be able to dock my ship at one of the orbiting repair docks at SOL, possibility get to a giant glass window where I can see my ship, in it's grand scale, getting different weapons put on (think Galaxy Quest when the 1st time everyone saw the ship from the elevator window)...something more to make me connect with MY ship other than picking 3 different styles / mix and match and picking red or green because those are about the ONLY 2 colors you can see in the ship editor or in space.

I beam down to planets and explore....ah well....i don't....i run and scan 5 objects, or explore and empty building and access 5 computers...along with my trusty dumber and dumb scanning device that points me to the nearest interactive object. I just wished that instead of the time you spent making that blue background "sexy" on the starfleet communication window (and all the other unnecessary at the moment window dressing), that you spent time making story scripts. A problem / solving / diplomatic / action - consequence star trek story.

I don't think you did the best you could of. I think you've taken the fast track / quick buck on this game and the nature of you're development cycle is a model that shows poor management. Both in communicating with your fans on the forum, and the sheer amount of *new bugs that have emerged from each new patch.
I can play a map, and have it play a different way each time the map cycles to restart or I have to read my attack buttons when I beam down to a planet...dynamic lighting...the details are missing in this game.

I do think getting input from the community as to what they would like to see in the game, is ok. But somehow I get the feeling that you're using them to be your "workforce" to generate creative ideas and you're making them pay you $50 on top of it. Where are the creative people at Cryptic? I laughed really hard when you made the announcement that you weren't going to make people play for the next major content / patch update. WELL YEAH, the game isn't finished!

So, maybe I'll see you again STO in 6 months to a year...I'd just rather spend my $15 a month on something that is tangible and not a future promise.

GMAN
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Have fun storming the castle!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Theres some good suggestions in here... 4th paragraph especially imo.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Good points, not the expected "i quit have fun idiots" bs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbeHlpnU View Post

I do think getting input from the community as to what they would like to see in the game, is ok. But somehow I get the feeling that you're using them to be your "workforce" to generate creative ideas and you're making them pay you $50 on top of it. Where are the creative people at Cryptic? I laughed really hard when you made the announcement that you weren't going to make people play for the next major content / patch update. WELL YEAH, the game isn't finished!
Thanks for making a decent post instead of the morons that give no reason as to why they are leaving and just say the game sucks.

As for the part that I quoted you on, Ive thought this so many times myself. Cryptic does listen to the community, and thats awesome. Its great. But sometimes it feels like they DEPEND on community input a little too much.

As if they have no idea what we really want and we have to tell them so they get it right.

As a game developer, your job is to make a game you think people will like. You want to make something good. If you're a talented developer with imagination and common sense you should be able to do that without the community holding your hand and guiding you along.

Which seems like thats what goes on half the time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
i am cancelling as well.

mentioning broken ship flying home, that was outdated, this is 35 years after namesis event, Wesley Crusher had created ship nanites, capable of repairing ship as you fly.

not reason why i am quiting STO.

devs and security team need redo our personal messages and to protect emails from scams and over spamming has to go, or i am not coming back to renew.

it hard on my PC, STO is very demanding for all the PC's resources and graphic cards.

lack of inner ship events, crew personalities and cultures, and deep developments to know your bridge officers, all that is missing.

finding rares seem to be very mythical.
ship combats and ground combats need to work on, i had often met few hostile squads and cant beat them, and forcing to cancel that system encounter and redo some random system encounters, most of my bridge officers are still ensigns and then how could i am able to beat 3-4 elites and seeing 3-4 commanders/captians, meaning i am outclassed and out-geared.

spams, okay, i have had using /report and /ignore, but they are full, and log-in and see my mails get filled up needlessly.

i may come back later if there is major overhaul and better spam blocks, and improved loot drops and better combats, and lot more missions and including if they add "Bridge Mission", but that have to wait til i get better computer and hold more memory space and better card to see what really STO should look like 100%.

anyway, thanks for playing STO. personally, i think STO is kinda too soon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylonus
lack of inner ship events, crew personalities and cultures, and deep developments to know your bridge officers, all that is missing.

ship combats and ground combats need to work on, i had often met few hostile squads and cant beat them, and forcing to cancel that system encounter and redo some random system encounters, most of my bridge officers are still ensigns and then how could i am able to beat 3-4 elites and seeing 3-4 commanders/captians, meaning i am outclassed and out-geared.
I agree I would like to see inner ship events, maybe a repelling a boarding party or what have you. However, crew personalities are cultures? Knowing your Bridge officers? More in depth system encounters? Again, more of a single player RPG request, you can't expect that each bridge officer is going to have their own storyline, that is flat out unimaginable, especially for how many Bridge officers are out there. There are episodic missions that offer the storyline, having the random encounters offer rich storyline would be along the lines of having each Bridge officer have their own unique storyline. I would say that you are expecting too much.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Exploder
I agree I would like to see inner ship events, maybe a repelling a boarding party or what have you. However, crew personalities are cultures? Knowing your Bridge officers? More in depth system encounters? Again, more of a single player RPG request, you can't expect that each bridge officer is going to have their own storyline, that is flat out unimaginable, especially for how many Bridge officers are out there. There are episodic missions that offer the storyline, having the random encounters offer rich storyline would be along the lines of having each Bridge officer have their own unique storyline. I would say that you are expecting too much.
you could do alot of that in an MMO. especially in such a heavily instanced one such as this. Take a look at Bioware's The Old Republic. this is exactly what they are doing. and its the same game engine.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Sounds to me like you want another Star Trek RPG, not a MMORPG. In MMOs you are limited with your options for quest making, as well as decision making. You can't have a consequence engine in place for it may inhibit other players.

With that being said, it appears that instead of a "Scan 5 things" mission, you would like a "Speak to 5 upset NPCs" mission. Uh, what's the difference?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Exploder
Sounds to me like you want another Star Trek RPG, not a MMORPG. In MMOs you are limited with your options for quest making, as well as decision making. You can't have a consequence engine in place for it may inhibit other players.

With that being said, it appears that instead of a "Scan 5 things" mission, you would like a "Speak to 5 upset NPCs" mission. Uh, what's the difference?

story and character progression. thats the difference. and don't say mmos dont have that, people become very fond of their game avatars.

this game could very well have been more creative in the mission department, even in an MMO setting. They just were lazy and used a generated misison system instead of making them each individually.