Lt. Commander
Can anyone provide a link to a dev post covering why the decision was made to only allow one torpedo to fire at a time? There must be some gameplay reason that they would rather require all players to use clicky abilities instead of modifying the ship load-out.

To be honest, I've never been so ****ed at a game as when I discovered that it is only possible to fire one torpedo every three seconds. Torpedoes have always been spike damage. Converting them to DPS doesn't even make sense.

Yes, I know about High Yield Torpedo skills, but I fail to see how doing 4x damage using a single weapon slot is a better game mechanic. I'm probably just missing something here.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm assuming it is for balance. Being able to fire multiple torps would allow for too much spike damage especially when it would be combined with disabling skils.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
instead of being able to fire multiple launchers at once for silly spike damage that would make combat pointless, additional launchers lowers the time between torp launches.

For multi-torp launches you need to invest in high yield skills, which do fantastic damage but at a maximum rate of once every 20 seconds so's not to make combat torp wars.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
It was the same mechanic that was added to cannons, and yeah, it's to make them more DPSish than bursty. A full cannon unload on a ship or full torp unload is pretty fatal, and did not take a lot of skill.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
this was done becau they figiured we'd cry if we were limited to more canon like torpedo cool downs.

think about it, if e had 30 sec or 1 min cool downs for each tube, we could still minimize spike damage to be consistent with the current HYT skill. instea dof having HYT be a multi-shot salvo. It could have been a single modified torpedo attack with truly higher matter/anti-mater yields with a significant cool down.

unbelieveable.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
wish the npcs had this cool down... love watching them launch 4 or 5 high yields in a row at ya so immerseve and cannon..
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
ajac09:
as far as i know of they do, check the combat log because the visual at times are not accurate representation of the actual number of torpedoes... this is part of the reason why phantom torpedoes coming from you also occur at times, torpedoes that visually look normal but don't actually exist damage wise and for all intent and purpose are purely visual FX.

the highest i know of is them firing yield III (4 torpedoes) then 4-5 seconds delay and normal torpedo shot (1 torpedo) which is replicable with our own ship if you have access to high yield III.

cocoa-jin:
the point there i would think is that in an MMO you avoid a single powerful damage spike if at all possible and divide it into damage pulses instead. Otherwise you attach other disadvantage or limiting factor to it (which is what they did to plasma and tricobalt but probably done too much to them).

It's common sense because an MMO has to build some sort of internal resistance to lag and latency that the players may have and single fast high damage spike makes that more difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Torps have different cooldown times and different flight speeds. my cruiser runs with 3 different torps. First tube fired is with high yeild but slow. I can then fire the second which is faster and arrives at the same time. As those hit 3rd is fired with spread so another 3 go. First is ready to fire again before 3rd hits.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-20-2010, 10:31 AM
There is a way SORT OF around this.

High yield has a cool down of 30 seconds. All high yield skills are on a shared cool down of 20 seconds. This means you can activate one, and then have a ten second crossover period when you can activate a second one. Because torpedo shared cool down is 3 seconds, you can fire one high yield volley, and then fire the second high yield volley 3 seconds after it. It does work, I have done it as a test.

However, this is difficult to pull off, particularly in something slow like a cruiser. It really isn't practical.

If they lowered the shared cool down of the high yield skills to something more reasonable, like 5 or 10 seconds, it would make multiple torpedo volleys a possibility. This would still require timing and skill. I'm not counting on that ever happening, however.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQuan3
Can anyone provide a link to a dev post covering why the decision was made to only allow one torpedo to fire at a time? There must be some gameplay reason that they would rather require all players to use clicky abilities instead of modifying the ship load-out.

To be honest, I've never been so ****ed at a game as when I discovered that it is only possible to fire one torpedo every three seconds. Torpedoes have always been spike damage. Converting them to DPS doesn't even make sense.

Yes, I know about High Yield Torpedo skills, but I fail to see how doing 4x damage using a single weapon slot is a better game mechanic. I'm probably just missing something here.
The cooldown allows a single torpedo to do significant burst damage without allowing multiple launchers to do insane burst damage - it's a balancing factor.

Likewise, Torpedo: High Yield allows you to have a bigger burst, but not on every shot.