Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
To qualify this issue, when I installed this game, I began having graphics issues with my computer. When playing the game, sometimes it froze, sometimes it didn't; however, when I am not playing the game, my computer graphics freeze my computer repeatedly.

The only way fix it is to uninstall STO, the driver for the graphics card, then reinstall the driver. Prior to STO, it never did this.

My card is Nividia GTX 280, 1 GB GDDR3 Ram. Patch 196.21
Running an Intell Duo Core Processor (I think ayt 1.8 GHZ but I am not sure).

I have tracked temps on the CPU and the GPU:

In Game: CPU 60 61 GPU 85
Out Game: CPU 31 30 GPU 44-56

Doesn't seem to be a heat problem but it acts like it is. Bottom line, this game does not like my graphics or computer.

I love the game but cannot keep it on my computer for the reasons above. I'd like some help here and some answers.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
It just seems to be an unfortunate coincidence that your graphics card has started to die at the same time you started to play STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moordrake View Post
It just seems to be an unfortunate coincidence that your graphics card has started to die at the same time you started to play STO.
It isn't a coincidence. After repeated attempts of installing and uninstalling as described above, the freezes only happens when STO is on my system.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moordrake View Post
Seems like an unforunate thought process to think it's a coincidence when a lot of people are having the same exact issues.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knyght_Fall
Seems like an unforunate thought process to think it's a coincidence when a lot of people are having the same exact issues.
Ok. Problem solved it would seem. Turns out it was a GPU overheating issue. I did a couple of things.

I noticed in my case that the harddrive and video card were restricting the airflow in the case, preventing the video card from getting a proper airflow for cooling. I moved the HD which gained me a 2 degree drop in GPU temp.

I then followed some tips elsewhere... Turned off the Physics on my card, capped my FPS at 60 in the game, reduced CPU / GPU usage when idle in the game, and turned off post processing in the game.

End result is I gained another 10-15 degree drop in GPU temp.

Thanks for the useful and not so useful help.