Lt. Commander
# 1 An apology to the devs
02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
I have been one of this game's biggest supporters prior to release, then one of it's most outspoken haters after release.

But I just wanted to say I don't blame the developers, I know you guys did the best you could with the resources you had and the time allotted and it really isn't your fault that your idiotic corporate bosses made you rush the game out before it was ready and wanted the game developed on that same tired old outdated engine you make everything else on instead of using something new or at least innovative.

I don't blame you guys personally for the fail that is Star Trek Online and I know you put a lot of work into it and most people pride themselves on their work and it's only natural to take it personally when someone criticizes it. I know you're whole team is running around doing damage control right now just trying to get things stable and fixed as quickly as you can before the subscriber numbers dwindle and it is probably stressing you all out and the fact half the forums are ragging on you guys on a daily basis probably only makes it worse because we are all basically mocking your collective livelihoods and if this game sinks you will probably be out of the job.

I think even the most angry and bitter players who were disappointed by this game would realize it wasn't your fault if they knew the whole story and perhaps wouldn't be so quick to judge.

I don't expect any kind of positive dev reply here because despite the truth of what i'm saying, I know you can't really go on record agreeing with someone who badmouthed your bosses or company as a whole, but I just wanted to say sorry for any grief i've caused you guys.

I wish the Dev team good luck. I genuinely hope you guys can salvage this game and make it more playable and fun and get to keep your steady jobs for a long time.

To the upper management of cryptic, or more specifically the bozos responsible for pushing this crap out the door early, I really can't say what I wish would happen to you people because it would probably be a dreadful forum offense, so I will simply say I don't like you and hope you lose your jobs and get positions more suited to your lack of leadership skills and foresight, maybe cooking fries.

~Ta
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
El Oh El
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Though I thoroughly enjoy STO; you are right in the fact that it is not the Devs fault. I find it very obvious that this was not their intention, releasing a game that is incomplete in several areas.

My suggestion, if I could make one, is unsub for now and try it again in two to three months. Personally, I have a lifetime subscription and an RA5 Character. I am 100% happy with my purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I blame Atari for this mess.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd just like to add that even if it wasnt the Devs fault that the game was relased "too early", if they KNEW it was going to be released too early, it should have affected their design plan. For example, if they knew there wasnt going to be endgame content, then they should have adjusted the leveling speed so that it took longer to reach the end game than it currently does.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'd just like to add that even if it wasnt the Devs fault that the game was relased "too early", if they KNEW it was going to be released too early, it should have affected their design plan. For example, if they knew there wasnt going to be endgame content, then they should have adjusted the leveling speed so that it took longer to reach the end game than it currently does.
Most places don't design around expecting to fail, they design to succeed.

Also, adjusting level speed would've only made it worse, there is only X amount of content and you have to do about 90% of it to hit admiral 5. So reducing XP rate would've just meant running out of missions to do while leveling and forcing you to grind exploration or defense which would've annoyed and irritated players even more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
I blame myself.

it's all my fault.

everything.

Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
It's nobody's fault.
Cryptic agreed to release a MMO in two years.
They did that, and a remarkable one given the two year development time. The fact is,you [edit] can't seem to grasp that is wasn't a secret.

Cryptic never said it would have all of the features you people are crying for on release.

Feel free to not play for two years, and THEN you can compare it to other MMO's that have a four year development cycle.

But you'd still rant, because you would to wait instead of getting your instant grat fix.

And you'd cry because even though it was worked on for another two years, it wouldn't have feature X that somebody in Wisconsin wanted.

Or the asteroid over there doesn't look like Joe in Alaska wants.

Nevermind that even WoW was released with a shallow crafting system, slim content, very slim end game, and many bugs after being in development for 4+ years. But most of you brats probably aren't old enough to remember that.

I know they released a MMO developed in two years, and nobody (especially you know-nothing armchair devleopers) could have done much better in two years.

I like what it is, and it has massive potential. You guys are the ones that don't get it, not Atari, not Cryptic. But since you can't grasp what Cryptic is doing and why, you surely can't get what I'm saying.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I don't blame the code-monkeys much. I know they worked their rears off the last two years. For the time they had, they did a nice job. Unfortunately, that's not good enough.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Can I have your stuff?