Lt. Commander
I am a homeless Ferengi. One of many vagabonds in space who can't go to his homeworld. Betazoids, Bolians, Saurians... We are all travellers with no place to go. Not even the humans can visit Earth, and looking down from Sol Spacedock must be quite tragic - home, friends, family, all so close, all so far. But enough of that, I have a suggestion how to bring us all home.

C-Store Items: Homeworlds
Not map locations - more social beam-to-from-menu locations like the bridge.
The homeworlds are social enviroments where you can invite friends for those that need some distance to the endless void of space, and there's no place like home after all.
With Vulcan and Andoria as beam-to planets on the map, and the lack of the sheer existance of most other homeworlds, that's not the solution. I don't mean „homeworlds“ as much as I mean „our personal home“. A small in/outdoor area with a few species specific common items (bank, mail, library, nothing that wouldn't be easily found on a space dock), for example:
Ferenginar would be a small bungalow with access to a bank console; when I step outside, I stand in the pouring rain and can see the Tower of Commerce in the distance. Vulcan would have access to a library console instead of the bank and a house with an outdoor area for peaceful meditation. Bajor would have a country house with view on the monasty in the distance. And for humans, there could even be different homes, like continents with a distinctive building outside the window, or a moon colony in a biosphere.

People want to visit their homes, people want more items in the C-Store, and people always like a selection. Collectors may buy all worlds, just for the heck of it, others will just be happy to have another social option than the huge and usually empty-looking bridges. A house with a swamp, mountain or farm land around it; a menu „set this as my homeworld“, just like „select my bridge“ - that's all I ask, and I'd totally buy it.

Probably needs some more thought, but maybe there could even be replicators with food items from the according world in them - and nothing else. Since some food items are „rare“ and of some serious value on the exchange, they'd have to be „bound by acquire“ to avoid exploits (I'm a Ferengi, I care about the economy) or limited in some way (like you can only visit your homeworld every 24 - in game - hours and replicate each item only once per visit). This would also add to the social part of the game; people might be curious what other worlds look like, or they want to visit someone to get a uncommon food for their tribble farm. A social alternative to endless exploration and waiting for the right drop or paying insane prices at the exchange. As I said, the replicator part isn't fully thought through, but might have some potential.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
I am a homeless Ferengi. One of many vagabonds in space who can't go to his homeworld. Betazoids, Bolians, Saurians... We are all travellers with no place to go. Not even the humans can visit Earth, and looking down from Sol Spacedock must be quite tragic - home, friends, family, all so close, all so far. But enough of that, I have a suggestion how to bring us all home.

C-Store Items: Homeworlds
Not map locations - more social beam-to-from-menu locations like the bridge.
The homeworlds are social enviroments where you can invite friends for those that need some distance to the endless void of space, and there's no place like home after all.
With Vulcan and Andoria as beam-to planets on the map, and the lack of the sheer existance of most other homeworlds, that's not the solution. I don't mean „homeworlds“ as much as I mean „our personal home“. A small in/outdoor area with a few species specific common items (bank, mail, library, nothing that wouldn't be easily found on a space dock), for example:
Ferenginar would be a small bungalow with access to a bank console; when I step outside, I stand in the pouring rain and can see the Tower of Commerce in the distance. Vulcan would have access to a library console instead of the bank and a house with an outdoor area for peaceful meditation. Bajor would have a country house with view on the monasty in the distance. And for humans, there could even be different homes, like continents with a distinctive building outside the window, or a moon colony in a biosphere.

People want to visit their homes, people want more items in the C-Store, and people always like a selection. Collectors may buy all worlds, just for the heck of it, others will just be happy to have another social option than the huge and usually empty-looking bridges. A house with a swamp, mountain or farm land around it; a menu „set this as my homeworld“, just like „select my bridge“ - that's all I ask, and I'd totally buy it.

Probably needs some more thought, but maybe there could even be replicators with food items from the according world in them - and nothing else. Since some food items are „rare“ and of some serious value on the exchange, they'd have to be „bound by acquire“ to avoid exploits (I'm a Ferengi, I care about the economy) or limited in some way (like you can only visit your homeworld every 24 - in game - hours and replicate each item only once per visit). This would also add to the social part of the game; people might be curious what other worlds look like, or they want to visit someone to get a uncommon food for their tribble farm. A social alternative to endless exploration and waiting for the right drop or paying insane prices at the exchange. As I said, the replicator part isn't fully thought through, but might have some potential.
Nice idea! But really....why do you need to make suggestions for great new content and then immediately suggest it as a C-Store item? Doesn't "Homeworlds in a free content update" have a nicer ring to it?

Even if you want to see the c-store updated with more and more items - believe me when I say; that will happen without any help from us. And I'm not even against the c-store!

By all means, suggest content you'd like to see. I just wish you (and others) wouldn't immediately declare "I'd pay extra for that!" Companies don't need any encouragment in terms of charging us more and more money.

Here's a novel idea - whats say we ask for the content we'd like to see and leave it at that? Cryptic can then decide exactly what they want to develop, what to charge extra for and what to deliver as included with your subs fee.

We don't need threads that read as a "101 Player-generated ideas we'd like Crytpic to charge us extra for"
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 03:47 AM
I think the free content should focus on things everyone wants. Such as better stories, more missions, more endgame. Not everyone feels the need for extras like this.
A homeworld, or many of them for that matter, would be a cosmetic thing, like extra uniforms, ships or playable species (as species are now, they aren't more than cosmetic; the traits don't justify saying they are "real content").

Therefore, I put it on a C-Store list, which is to me a "would be nice, but its not that urgent" list. Additional, not-too-hard-to-implement things that can wait. If it was a choice between "diplomacy system" or "homeworlds", I'd pick the diplomacy. Take my suggestion as C-Store item more as a lower priority.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
I think the free content should focus on things everyone wants. Such as better stories, more missions, more endgame. Not everyone feels the need for extras like this.
A homeworld, or many of them for that matter, would be a cosmetic thing, like extra uniforms, ships or playable species (as species are now, they aren't more than cosmetic; the traits don't justify saying they are "real content").

Therefore, I put it on a C-Store list, which is to me a "would be nice, but its not that urgent" list. Additional, not-too-hard-to-implement things that can wait. If it was a choice between "diplomacy system" or "homeworlds", I'd pick the diplomacy. Take my suggestion as C-Store item more as a lower priority.
Well, it is possible to ask for lower priority "wish-list" content without suggesting it be delivered as paid content.

In any case, the idea of homeworlds is a good one that I'd wager a fair few players would be interested in.

Still - the irony of someone RPing a Ferengi writting a post offering to pay extra for content you'd like to see is not lost on me
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2010, 04:52 AM
My Ferengi nature extends to real life, and that may be a part of it.

I work as a content developer myself, and I know how important the economy inside a game is. Now imagine the uproar if something every player (or a majority) wants would be made C-Store. Let's say a worst case: Buy new mission packs. That would be a slap in the face, as this is something no-one would want to pay for, and that should be for "free" (free as far as in 'paid with subscription').
For a company, that would be a money maker tho, because everyone needs it. Well, everyone not cancelling.

Its still better to offer ideas what content only some players would want could be used to make extra profit. You can live without a homeworld, you have a bridge as social enviroment, and the world wouldn't add any useful features. That's why I put it more in the list with other cosmetic ideas. Just offering an idea and leaving it up to the company what to do with it can be fatal - might may be right, but I rather direct in the right direction of right.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Bump for awesomeness.
Lt. Commander
# 7 great idea
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I like this idea. I'm not sure it's the most important thing on their menu, but I'd pay for my characters to have 'houses' on their own home planets. ESPECIALLY if I could dress the houses up or bring home items from various missions and travels and display them inside said home.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Trophy items would be pretty cool, even if they were placed in the home automatically. Like, a Bat'Leth on the wall after beating a Klingon mission, or a jar with Cardassian neckbones; Ketracel-White containers, stuff like that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah I've been thinking it would be nice to eventually live on our homeworlds.