Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Google variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rocket. Developed by M.I.T., this rocket is to be the centerpiece of NASA's rockets. It can take NASA astronauts to mars in 39 days as opposed to 6 months with chemical rockets. It's to be used by NASA on the international space station in 2011 to boost it into a more stable orbit. It will also be used to ferry cargo to the moon and mars more cheaply than current technology, and at a fraction of the cost. No more need to carry several tons of fuel to get from point A to B.

To me this opens space travel up for commercial use. Helium-3 used in fusion is abundant on the moon, and many asteroids are made of valuable iron and nickel. I am starting to feel Star Trek is here sooner than we think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Would be great when they fly to the mars in Star Trek uniforms.

Make it so!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirius89 View Post
I want them to play one of the Star Trek series theme songs on arrival. I'm leaning towards Voyager, but I think the original would be more appropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxgcLf0TSY <- i vote for this one.

I think it would be an amazing feeling for the astronauts.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirius89 View Post

Make it so!!
and Janice Rand beehive hairdoos.....

..... and the helmets that fit said doos.....

Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2010, 08:46 AM
By the time NASA gets to Mars, Richard Branson will be there sipping a cocktail at his Virgin Galactic Resort.
Lt. Commander
# 7
sadly Obama is NASA's Atari

your scheduled return to the moon and voyage to mars will no longer be supported by NASA due to budget cuts.

the future of space exploration is now in the hands of that insane British nitwit what runs Virgin Atlantic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag-nyc View Post

your scheduled return to the moon and voyage to mars will no longer be supported by NASA due to budget cuts.

the future of space exploration is now in the hands of that insane British nitwit what runs Virgin Atlantic.

True, but he is a fun British Nitwit to watch, and he definitely has more cajones than the current American/Russian/EU administations when it comes to space travel.

2011? I thought VASIMIR engine was supposed to be in the test stages by 2013. Last I read there wasn't any plans to have it one the ISS next year.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag-nyc View Post

Obama is for the US Aerospace industry really a catastrophe. He castrate the NASA and two times Lockheed Martin (they were bulding the Orion Space Ship for the retun to the Moon and was the developer of the military F-22 - that Obama also cancelled).

I am European but it makes me sick when a incapably politician destroy the dreams and the hopes of million of space freaks.

In the next decade China, India and maybe Brazil will make the first steps on the moon.

India plans manned space mission in 2016 - CNN

Moon Base Alpha: If Not U.S., Then Who? - Foxnews
Lt. Commander
# 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokia
Google variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rocket. Developed by M.I.T., this rocket is to be the centerpiece of NASA's rockets. It can take NASA astronauts to mars in 39 days as opposed to 6 months with chemical rockets. It's to be used by NASA on the international space station in 2011 to boost it into a more stable orbit. It will also be used to ferry cargo to the moon and mars more cheaply than current technology, and at a fraction of the cost. No more need to carry several tons of fuel to get from point A to B.

To me this opens space travel up for commercial use. Helium-3 used in fusion is abundant on the moon, and many asteroids are made of valuable iron and nickel. I am starting to feel Star Trek is here sooner than we think.
This is all well and good except the current resident in the White House has cancelled the return to the Moon project and thus also killed the Mars program. It seems that the only thing they are interested in is for NASA to concentrate on Global Warming and nothing else. This is too bad and shows a tremendous amount of short sightness and too much political influence on what should be a purely scientific endeavour.