Lt. Commander
If you could change one thing about current Sector Space what would it be?

__________________________________________________ ____

I would get rid of the Floor grid and blue lines! It currently looks like geometry wars had a baby with my high school math class.

What do you think needs changing?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
If you could change one thing about current Sector Space what would it be?

__________________________________________________ ____

I would get rid of the Floor grid and blue lines! It currently looks like geometry wars had a baby with my high school math class.

What do you think needs changing?
same thing, make the grid and lines/paths optional to see. It interferes with my crack routine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Sector space should be thrown out entirely.

Travel between systems and sectors should all be done from the bridge.

You beam to your bridge, set your destination, and "Engage!" The viewscreen shows a starfield moving at warp, and you are now free to move about the ship. Travel time remains the same.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
We should navigate sector space from the bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Sector Space should be seamless and ten times larger (then speed up ships to keep travel time the same). This would make the galaxy actually feel large.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Lose the grid other than maybe lines showing sector boundaries.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Sector Space should be seamless and ten times larger (then speed up ships to keep travel time the same). This would make the galaxy actually feel large.
Actually, increasing the size, then keeping travel times the same, would make the galaxy feel the exact same size. In essence, all you're doing is making your ship smaller.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
But Sector Space isn't a view of your ship in real space. "Sector Space" is supposed to be an advanced astrometrics, or stellar cartography, display of the sector you're in.

Examples of the evolution:

http://www.st-minutiae.com/graphics/...psilon_map.jpg

http://www.arksark.org/blog/wp-conte...artography.jpg

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/gl...l/61/61488.jpg

The problem is the game does a poor job of explaining this. It's only mentioned in the online manual and not anywhere within the game. This information should probably should pop up in one of those tips upon entering sector space, because most people don't look at sector space as astrometrics and are subsequently disappointed.

My first impression upon seeing it was "Star Trek : Miniature Golf Park". Once I found out what Sector Space actually represented it made much more sense. However, I would still prefer something else, like showing a warp display on the viewscreen while giving us some time to roam around the ship's interiors conducting productive tasks (like a mini-game during travel, which maybe result in you acquiring certain performance buffs once you reach your objective).

I do agree with others that this was their best opportunity to let us command the ship from the bridge interior (for a change). The only thing that would really be needed is a proximity alert for when enemy contacts come within range so you can toggle out to the normal ship/astrometrics view.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
The Andorian is absolutely correct. A game based on exploration should never be limited to instancing of any kind that boxes up the gameplay. Having to warp between these spaces fractures just puts a needless limitation on you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Yeah what she said. The scale of the solar systems is all wrong compared to the ships, too.